Intense, Erotic, Irrational

& she was a mess.. a beautiful catastrophe, but he wanted this more than the air he breathed; he wanted her. Maybe he was wrong to take advantage of someone in such a fucked up place emotionally.

But this was Michael's only chance to prove to the woman he's wanted since he began snatching roses out of his mother's garden to gift Harlene that he wasn't a little boy anymore. He was a grown man.

W I N T E R

W I N T E R

NINETEEN SEVENTY-EIGHT

"Many guys have come to you
With a line that wasn't true
And you passed them by."

La La - Means I Love You by the Delfonics continuously played on Harlene's baby blue Crosley Cruiser record player. A bottle of expensive cognac was loosely held in her right palm as she stared up at a crystal chandelier in her living room. A deep green satin side laced nightgown covered only parts of her nearly exposed body. The scantily clad gone was risque, but Harlene found no reason to change into something more conservative as she was all alone.

Harlene never felt so alone in her entire life, but here she was in her opulent house laying next to a blazing fire that warmed her in contrast to the snow that plummeted the grounds outside.

Sighing heavily, Harlene took another swig of brandy before her face deeply cringed from how strong liquid tasted in her mouth. She swished the Courvoisier Erte Cognac No.5 from the right to the left of her cheeks as if the dark liquor was mouthwash.

Harlene wasn't much of a drinker, but another vice was needed besides crying

"La La La La La La La La La La, I Love you." The Delfonics sang with such intensity and charm. This particular song meant a lot to Harlene as it reminded her of a time in her life where she was happy. Her wedding day. This was the song she and her soon-to-be ex-husband danced to.

Harlene closed her teary eyes and escaped back to
the distant memory. The vision of those events felt so realistic in her mind that she could still smell the butter cake Al, her husband, stuffed into her mouth before kissing her sweetly.

Harlene smiled at the recollection of events but eventually, it faded as she realized that that's all it would ever be. A lost and distinct memory. 

"Fucking bastard..." Harlene muttered underneath
her breath before screaming in rage. "FUCKING BASTARD!" Slightly drunk, Harlene stood up to the soles of her feet and stumbled around. She cursed at the air as if Al was there to hear her diatribe.