Chapter 5: Confession

"Are you going to be okay?" Tul asked his friend.

Tian nodded as he took a deep breath. Phupha put his arm around Tian and comforted him. Nam, on the other hand, squeezed Tian's shoulder.

A man walks in and sits in front of Tian. He sighs.

"Is it bad?" Tian asked.

"No, it's not... well, not that bad. But the problem is your parents, Tian. They refused to admit what they did and it will cost them a lot more time in jail. The court has agreed that you had no idea of what happened back then and should not be charged. The only consequence of what happened was to take away your license for 2 years."

"But Khun Key, isn't there a way for my parents not to get a longer sentence? I mean, they did something terrible but... I'm sure they'll learn their mistake in the short time in jail." Tian never really thought they will get to this point. What they did was wrong but he still loves his parents despite how they neglected his feelings and suffocated him instead.

"I want to get them a short sentence as well, Tian. However, they refuse to admit to bribing the police and the hospital to take an alive girl's heart. You know how Lalita can be. She will reason out that she did a good thing to save her child." Key reasoned.

"What about my sister though? This most probably shocked her." Tian worriedly asked.

"She won't get involved since she didn't know about what they did. She learned a little late about your accident. Given from the records in the hospital." Key reassured.

"They're probably mad at me, aren't they?"

"Yes. They are mad, with reason that they gave you another chance to live." Tian flinched at that.

Phupha growled. "They are sounding like they would have let Tian die if they wanted to."

"That is a problem. Since the police heard it and had already recorded it for the hearing. Teerayut and Lalita will be sentence in jail with no bail for a long period of time." Key explained.

Tian looked down guiltily for putting his parents in that kind of position. He knows for sure that their colleagues will use it against them to not agree for any partnership.

"Nong, it's not your fault. Remember, we are doing this to teach them a lesson, to do things right. If in the end they don't learn from it, then it's not your fault but theirs." Nam comforted.

"Yeah, besides have you ever been happy at that house, like at all?" Tul asked.

"... No." Tian muttered but could still be heard.

"What's going to happen once they are found guilty?" Tian asked lastly.

"The court will find you and your sister suitable for the inheritance that your parents will leave behind. Even if they try to remove your name, the court will give half of it to you." Key explained.

"Woah, what are you going to do with the money, Meung?" Tul asked.

"I'm not sure. Probably just put it in a new bank account since my mother controls the other one. It will at least be enough for me to finish college and get an apartment for the meantime." Tian said.

"Oh, right. You're still a student." Nam suddenly said.

"Tian, with that brain of yours, even without the money, you'll be able to get your degree. You're literally our valedictorian." Tul chuckled.

"I forgot about that. But I haven't been in school for months. I missed a lot."

"Again, you have a big brain, you'll be able to catch up."