2 - Golden Greeting

[Art by lunehowls on Twitter]

Y/N's POV

Amity leads us through the caves, map in hand, Eda and King bringing up the rear. They all seem fairly relaxed, save for Amity who's clearly worried over her sick girlfriend. I put a comforting hand on her shoulder as we walk.

"Luz is going to be okay, Am, I promise," I say, and I receive a weak smile. She nods and turns her attention back to the map, which I take as my cue to disengage.

We walk for a while longer in silence when suddenly the hair on my neck stands up. Someone else is with us, I can feel it. My senses go on high alert and I stop in my tracks, holding up my hand.

"What's wrong, Y/n?" Eda asks.

"Someone's spying on us." My head darts around, looking for the culprit, when I see a flash of gold in the distance. We all draw our weapons in the direction of the flash of colour. A loud thump sounds throughout the cave as a dazed person is dragged out of their hiding spot by a little red bird with a scarred eye. Wait a minute, that's one of the palisman from Hexside! And is that...

"The Golden Guard." Amity practically spits out his name. Before he can respond, the purple-haired girl summons an Abomination which wraps around the guard's body like rope, throwing him to the ground. We surround him, staffs drawn.

Eda lets out a laugh. "Huh, that was surprisingly easy. I mean, you are Belos' right-hand man. You think it would be a little harder to take you down." King joins in the mirth, even Amity smirks a little. Huh, he's scrawnier than I imagined. I decide not to say that out loud. Sure, he's right up there plotting with Big Bad Belos, but I don't want to embarrass him any further, that would just be cruel.

"We should take him with us," I suggest. "That way we can keep an eye on him."

"Great plan!" Eda replies, marching forward to continue our quest, King perched contently on her shoulder. The Golden Guard grumbles as he's forced to stand up, still constrained by his Abomination ropes.

"You're welcome," I say with a hint of sarcasm. "They would have killed you otherwise."

"Would've been better than being stuck with you."

"Killing can still be arranged," Amity threatens. Although I know she's just bluffing, the Guard clearly doesn't, which shuts him up. I attempt to stifle a giggle, pretty unsuccessfully.

"You think my death is funny?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"It certainly wouldn't be the worst thing to happen today," I reply. The Guard scoffs. Amity pokes him with her palisman and he whines. All of a sudden, his shoulders drop and his head lowers in defeat.

"You can put down your staff, I won't run." His pouting is extremely convincing, but I search his eyes for the defeat, just to be safe. They're filled with sadness, and I have to admit that I feel a little bad for him.

For all I know he could be the nephew of Emperor Belos, forced to join the Emperor's Coven and take on an official job from a young age. Pfft, why would I think that? Of course that's not the case, silly brain.

My thoughts are interrupted when I slam into something hard (A/n: Don't even think about it, I can see those dirty comments from a mile away). I stumble back, trying to gather my thoughts, when I lose my balance and crash into something else. Nope, this time it's a someone.

"Hey, watch it!" the Golden Guard hisses, and I quickly walk back, holding my head in a daze..

"Sorry," I apologise.

"Y/n, don't apologise to the enemy," Amity scolds.

"Sorry!"

Eda runs her hands over the first thing I bumped into, which turns out to be a large metal canon. I move my gaze along the hall and spot other parts of mining machinery dotted throughout the cave. "Huh, this stuff is old," she muses.

"Ancient witches used to mine the veins for Titan blood," the Guard states matter-of-factly.

"They're not paying attention," Amity replies, her tone blunt.

Sure enough, Eda's trying to convince King to shoot the cannon at her in an attempt to release "Harpy Eda". They've been doing this all trip, she even crashed through a wall of solid stone trying to spur on the beast. I'd be surprised she wasn't hurt, but this is Eda we're talking about, tough as nails. I roll my eyes at the duo's shenanigans, After all, there's no way that cannon would be loaded-

A large beam shoots from the drill, bouncing back and forth off of the cave walls before it races in our trio's direction. I quickly cast a forcefield spell around us while Amity traps the beam in an Abomination ball before dissipating.

"Oops," says King.

The Guard's face quickly transforms into a scowl. He seems used to making this face, but it certainly doesn't suit him. "This isn't a normal cave! These walls are made from the veins of the Titan. Any magic you shoot will bounce right back at you!" Woah, I guess he actually knows his stuff. I kinda thought it was just stab, stab, kill, kill with this guy.

I make a mental note that this guy might actually be smarter than he seems, along with the thing about Titan veins. With that new information, King opts to shooting out a sonic wave to echolocate the lake instead. Which is a safer option, but still not ideal.

"Those two are definitely gonna get us caught," the Guard deadpans.

"Us?" Amity replies. "There is no 'us'. Now keep walking." Our prisoner shrugs and we continue our trek towards the lake. I hear a quiet chirping from behind us and a little red bird - the palisman from before - flutters around our shoulders. I hold my hand out and he perches on my finger.

"Hey little fella," I coo, scratching his head with my free hand. I feel the Golden Guard tense next to me and something clicks in my mind. "Is he yours?" I ask. "I thought you already had one." I must have come off a little harshly, because the Guard didn't respond. I sigh and turn my attention back to the bird, who warbles off on a tangent.

"Oh yes, is that right? Oh really? Well that sounds very interesting."

"You speak palisman?" the Guard asks. It seems an honest enough question, so I reply, "No, but it's nice to play along." The bird lets out an offended chirp and I laugh. "Sorry."

♡♡♡

I'm having a lot of fun with this and I hope you guys are too! Remember to support the artist if you like their work. And if you feel like it, maybe give this story a vote or comment as it helps me know people enjoy what I write :) Love you all, stay hydrated!