6 - Banter and Blondes

[Art by CoffeeSnake on DeviantArt]

Y/n's POV

I think I've had a productive morning. I woke up, yawned, and punched the Golden Guard in the face.

Can you really blame me? I woke up in un unfamiliar place with an annoyingly familiar face sitting right in front of me. He'd stumbled back and I'd grabbed my staff, ready to go again, but he wasn't putting up a fight. He just rubbed his jaw and sat back against the stone. Now I'm standing in the middle of a dimly lit cave, reeling with magic and adrenaline.

"Where the hell are we?" I ask. My eyes dart around what looks like a cave slightly smaller caverns we were just in, with fewer tunnels. A near burnt-out fire crackles weakly at my feet, illuminating the Golden Guard, who sits casually against the opposite wall.

"Well, according to my calculations this appears to be a cave." He runs a gloved hand through his hair. Titan, of all the people to be stuck with it had to be him?

Come to think of it, am I even stuck? I can't see any entrance to the cave, but I can feel a small breeze coming somewhere from the left. My limbs are clearly free of any ropes or bonds, but I still move them around to make sure there's no magic holding me down. Nothing, from what I can tell. I glance back at the Guard, who doesn't seem like he's on high alert. In fact, he almost manages to look bored.

"Y'know, a thank you would be nice," he says.

"Huh?"

The Guard holds his hands together under his chin, eyes sparkling. "Oh thank you so much most handsome most wonderful Hunter for saving my life, how could I ever repay you?"

I smirk, moving my weight to one hip. "Your name is Hunter?"

The Guard's – Hunter's – hair stands up on edge and he blushes.

I hold my hands up in surrender. "Sorry, I get it. No names before marriage."

Hunter turns his gaze to the fire, rolling his eyes. I notice something on the back of his neck. An open wound. Did he seriously not heal it already? It looks bad. Against my better judgement I reach out to touch it, but Hunter whips around to face me before I can.

"What are you doing?"

"That cut on the back of your neck, I... I can heal it if you want." What the hell am I doing? Why am I helping this idiot? Hunter's eyebrows knit together as he contemplates the decision. Well, I've got a shovel, might as well start digging my grave. "It's the least I could do after you saved me back there."

After a wary moment Hunter turns around and sits cross-legged on the floor, which is good because I'm struggling to meet his gaze.

"Fine," he says. "But make it quick. I don't have all- OW! I thought you said you were healing me!"

"I am! I am! It just takes a second. I'm not exactly a master of healing, and it's not like this is a papercut." I take a deep breath and hesitantly soften my voice. "I just need you to sit still for a bit, okay?"

Hunter sighs. The cardinal palisman hops onto his lap and he strokes their head.

I take a deep breath. I draw my magic to my hands, letting the warm feeling move through my fingertips and into the cut on Hunter's skin. I feel him tense under my palms, but I don't necessarily blame him. Why is he trusting me now? Or a better question: Why am I trusting him?

I shake off the thoughts and try to sense my surroundings to focus. I hear distant rain. The fire crackles quietly, the flames adorning the ceiling with a soft, orange glow. Hunter breathes steadily in front of me, and I watch his shoulders rise and fall with each breath. His palisman chirps softly. It's all so still. So calm.

I take a deep breath and focus on my magic. After a few moments the wound seals up, leaving a thin line that will fade soon enough. I must admit I'm rather proud of myself. I'm not the best with healing spells, but I've been getting a lot of practice since Luz arrived.

"Are you done?" Hunter asks.

"Just finished up." I reply. "How do you feel?"

He brings a hand up to his neck, turning to face me. "A lot better actually... Uh, thanks, I guess."

It takes me a moment to process those words. He... thanked me? I feel my face grow hotter – probably from the fire, yeah, that's it - and stand up abruptly, wiping invisible dust of my legs.

"Yeah, uh, no problem." A moment passes. "Oh, and uh, thank you. Y'know, for saving my life back there." It's reluctant, but it's good enough. Our eyes briefly lock and for a second I feel a spark so real I thought he'd cast a spell on me.

"On second thought, that sounds weird. Don't thank me." Hunter says, standing up beside me, cardinal on his shoulder.

I lean against the wall, smiling. "Aww, you embarrassed, Hunter?"

"And don't call me that."

"Then what should I call you?" I'd never admit it to myself, but I think I might be flirting. Oh Titan, I'm flirting with the Golden Guard, I've reached a whole new low.

Luckily for me, this idiot's as dense as a rock.

"You should call me the Golden Guard, seeing as that's my title and all." He puffs out his chest proudly, looking awfully like the palisman on his shoulder. I let out a laugh.

"Speaking of, get up, you're coming to the palace with me."

I burst into laughter again but when I look up, Hunter's face is dead serious. I raise an eyebrow.

"As much as I hate to admit it, Goldie, you can hold your own. If you wanted to take me to the palace, you would've done it already." Hunter opens his mouth to argue, then stops. He knows I'm right.

I playfully tilt my head, nudging his shoulder. "But let's be honest, I've let you catch me this far, so maybe you aren't as smart as I thought."

"That's not true!"

"Is too."

"You were unconscious!"

"All part of my brilliant plan to spend more time with the... what did you call yourself? Most handsome most wonderful Hunter?" He shoves me and I laugh again.

"Thank you for your hospitality, oh handsome and wonderful Hunter. I bid you adieu." I give him a mocking bow and a wink that turns his face red. I turn, following the breeze I felt earlier through the cave. Just as I think I'm in the clear I hear, "Wait! Stop!"

Hunter's caught up to me, his cardinal turning into a staff.

"Give me a chance to miss you."

"You're coming with me."

"Aw, don't be such a sore loser. Look, when you next hear trouble stirring, there's a good chance I'll be at the centre. So I'll see you at our next fight, Goldie.

After all, what's a hero without a villain?"

♡♡♡

Thank you so much everyone for all the support on this story so far, it really means the absolute world to me!! Like, 5K reads?? Holy shit?? Your guys' comments have kept me super motivated, this is actually the first time I've written six full chapters for anything lmao. Thank you so so much again, stay hydrated <3