7 - Sports and Storms

[Art by kyotemeru on Twitter]

Y/n's POV

Hi, I'm Y/n Clawthorne, and my best friend has snakes for arms.

Well, not real snakes. Gus and I needed a model for our most recent Illusion assignment and at the mention of something strange and unusual, Luz was more than happy to volunteer.

"Thank you, Augustus, Y/n," our teacher says, jotting down a few words, and her notebook gives us a thumbs up. "You're free to go."

We let out a victory cheer and run out of the classroom, savouring the early dismissal. I almost get my hand bitten off as Luz reaches up for a high-five, but after a quick spell she's back to normal.

"I can't believe Professor actually let us out early!" I say. I don't get a lot of time off at school. Along with Luz, I take all classes, so my schedule's different each week, but it's totally worth it not to be confined to one kind of magic. The only other choice would be the Emperor's Coven. I shiver at the thought.

"I know, right!" Gus replies. "Hey, why don't we go to the Club Fair? We can be the first ones to sign up!"

The Club Fair happens every year at Hexside. You can join extra curriculars to boost your grades, or just to have some fun. I tried making a Bad Girl Coven Club one year, but Principal Bump wouldn't allow it (Eda had made it when she attended Hexside – and after club "activities" it took weeks to turn the school fountains back into water).

The bell screams just as we make it to the fair. Students swarm around us, appearing behind stalls and scanning through pamphlets. Luz waves us goodbye - with her actual hands this time – and rushes over to her Book Club stall. After a bit of searching and a few fairy pie samples from the Baking Club, we finally find Willow's stand.

"Hey guys!" She greets us with bright eyes and an even brighter smile.

"Hey Willow, got any new recruits for the Flyer Derby Club yet?"

"We've already got most of our team, we just need one more player to complete it." Willow's eyes light up the way they do whenever she talks about Flyer Derby, a fiery spark you become quickly accustomed to after you've known her for a while. It can be a warm flame or a vicious inferno. Luckily for me, I usually get the former.

I take a seat on the bench of her stall, smiling at my friends. They turn back to the crowd, encouraging others to join the club. I lean back on my arms and lift my head into the sun. Today's been nice, what could possibly go wrong?

As soon as the thought fully forms in my mind, it's shattered by the image of a tiny man and his Abomination walking towards our stall, his beady little eyes directly locking on mine.

"Professor Homunculus! What a pleasant surprise!" The face of the Abomination carrying Homunculus shifts to match the professor's sneer.

"Clawthorne. It is of my understanding that you have a detention scheduled for this break, do you not?"

"Whaaaat? Lil ol' me?" I blink my eyes with mocking innocence. Gus quickly covers his laugh with a well-timed cough, and Willow finds a sudden interest in a root sticking out of the ground.

Professor Homunculus clicks his tongue in distaste. "The lockers won't clean themselves, Clawthorne." I see Willow open her mouth to argue, but I put my hand up. This is her big day, and I'll do everything I can to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible for her. I send her an assuring smile.