4 - Regret and Repercussions

[Art by zerocubits0506 on Tumblr]

Y/n's POV

It's a bit hard to take someone seriously when they look like one of King's hairballs.

Alas, Eda seems to think it's the perfect plan: covering her face with mounds of unwashed grey hair and pretending to be a ghost. It's original, I'll give her that, and I'd certainly be scared if I saw that while walking through the already creepy enough caves.

Before I can try to talk her out of it, a magenta fireball flies between us, barely missing King's tail and going straight towards Kikimora. The Abomination tagging along with the group shields her, and the fireball disappears. So much for the distraction plan, I guess.

"Why didn't you wait for our signal?" Eda asks as Amity runs towards us, the Golden Guard still in his Abomination ropes being tugged behind.

"We don't have time to play around. We are getting that Titan blood!" She has a look of determination on her face that would've made any respectable person wet themselves; fortunately for us, we're the least respectable bunch out there.

"There's someone else in the tunnels!" Kikimora's voice is closer than before, anger ringing clear through her tone. "I bet it's him, find him!"

We pick up the pace as we pass through more caves, ducking under low-hanging stalactites and manoeuvring around more mining equipment. After a few minutes of walking, we seem to be in the clear.

I watch the Guard out of the corner of my eye to make sure he doesn't go anywhere. I'm not doubting Amity's skill, but better safe than sorry, right? Titan, who am I even trying to convince?

The cardinal palisman flutters around the Golden Guard, trying and failing to stay perched on his shoulders. "Find a different perch, bird," he mutters. It's a little funny watching him try to get rid of the palisman without being able to swat it.

Suddenly, Amity gasps, and I follow her gaze to the dark blue orbs dotted around the edges of the cave.

"Is this... Titan's blood?" Eda questions.

"But Eclipse Lake is further ahead," Amity replies, looking over her map.

How have Kikimora and her guards not found this yet? It seems to be all over the place. I reach my hand out to one of the orbs.

"Stop!" The voice comes from the Guard, whose face is plastered with fear. He seems to realise this and quickly switches to a serious expression.. "That's Fool's blood, don't touch it." I watch his body language, checking for any signs he's lying. Either he's got a really good poker face, or he's telling the truth. However, Eda seems to think the opposite.

"Oh, so you can keep it all to yourself? Hard pass."

"Eda, wai-" There's no time to finish my sentence as Eda cracks open the blue orb, simultaneously cracking the floor. My senses heighten and I jump back from the crack just as it opens into a chasm, but Eda and King aren't so lucky.

"No!" I scream, my voice cracking.

"Y/n, we need to leave. Now." Amity mounts her staff and I run over to her, my own palisman in hand, silently reasoning with myself. It's Eda, she'll be fine.

"Wait! Take me with you!" The Guard pleads, causing me to hesitate. We can't just leave him here, especially with Kikimora right on our tail. Speaking of whom...

"Yoo-hoo, Golden Guard!" Kikimora teases, her shadow walking along the cavern wall just a few metres away from us.

"At least untie me so I can escape!" He suddenly goes quiet, head hanging low. "I... I don't want to be replaced." I shoot a questioning look at Amity and she sighs, letting the Abomination ropes disappear.

The Guard's demeanour switches in the blink of an eye, and before I can react he has Amity knocked to the ground.

"Now, I can get to Eclipse Lake before anyone. BYE!" He hops in a minecart, waving gleefully. A wave of questions washes over me: Why didn't he knock me down? Why does he need the Titan's blood so bad? That little-

"Y/n, go after him!" Amity says, holding her head.

"But-"

"Go!" I nod reluctantly and hop on my palisman, speeding along the tracks the cart went down. So, he doesn't see me as dangerous, huh? I'll show him how much of a threat I can be.

♡♡♡

Sorry for not updating for a while, I've been extremely exhausted and wasn't feeling very motivated for this book. This chapter was pre-written and I my writing has improved I just couldn't be bothered to heavily edit. I might continue this story, but I don't want to force myself because I don't wanna be burnt out right before school starts back up.

Anyway, hope you guys are doing okay. Love you all, stay hydrated!