A New Friend

A few months later and the summer holidays were in full swing. Minerva McGonagall could be found in her study at home, grading papers from the end of year exams whilst Y/N was in his room, pouring over the journal he had received for his 11th birthday.

Sure enough, much as Dumbledore had said, he'd mostly gotten over the pain it brought, he still got pale and a little bit clammy if on the origin pages of the spell, but he could flick through most of the others with nothing more than a dull pulse.

He'd also spent a large amount of time with the book collection in his room attempting to discern anything he could about the nature of his ability, but no tomes seemed to reference it. And he'd been forbidden from taking anymore of his mums books whilst she graded papers.

He'd been toying with the idea of writing a letter to Professor Dumbledore, so many questions he hadn't thought to ask when in the office. Dumbledore seemed to know his dad well and knew about this ability. Surely that meant he may know something about the day he vanished. I mean, he's Dumbledore. He knows everything. Speaking of.

Y/N snapped the journal closed and closed his eyes, he focused in on the house and surrounding area. He found it was easier when he imagined small tendrils flowing out from him. They normally tended to wrap around or get blocked when running into something. Sure enough the one he imagined travelling out in front of him was suddenly replaced with the mental image of the journal.

He pushed it out of his mind and sent the others further. After a moment, he felt it, they were pushing against a solid wall. The boundaries of the enchantments placed by his mum. They were faint, but powerful.

'I wonder...' he said in nothing more than a whisper.

He attempted to raise one of the tendrils and wrap it around the boundary.

His eyes shot open with a gasp of pain as his head pulsed dangerously. He grabbed the chocolate resting next to him and took a bite thinking.

So he can attempt to grasp whatever the enchantment is and tug on it, test it, possibly even identify it. But not yet. He didn't feel like missing the call to eat because he'd passed out again. His mum had already told him off for not being careful enough times.

He shook himself out of his thoughts and instead picked up the letter he'd been fawning over since it had arrived.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

UNIFORM
First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales
Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad