Chapter Nineteen: Home (not too) Sweet Home

"You sure you're okay?" Kate asked for the thousandth time.

I nodded through the phone even though I know that she doesnt see the gesture I am doing.

"I'll be fine, Kate. Don't worry."

Last night when I got home, it didn't took me by surprise when my mother welcomed me with a slap on my face and grounding me until graduation.

The point of her grounding me is pointless. I don't have friends to go out with and most of the time I am only home. Sometimes, I just really like to think that she knows what she's doing eventhough she obviously doesn't.

I sighed before ending the call and laid my tired body on my soft bed.

Today has been seriously depressing and it's stressing me out.

I heard a soft knock on my door and I sat up right away, afraid that it was the devil coming in to nag me again.

"Good morning, Miss. Your mother says that its time for you to come down and go to church with her." Nana addressed carefully and I nodded, following her down the halls after she had closed my doors shut.

As I ascend down the stairs I can hear my mother's heels against the concrete floor.

"Stop slacking and walk faster. I don't want to make the church feel unimportant." She exclaimed walking right out of the door, her head held up high not even looking at the ground as she walk.

I waved my hand to Nana gesturing her good bye and I made my way to the car.

The car ride was silent and neither of us wanted to talk to each other since our fight last night. To be honest, I like it like this. I don't need to hear her snobby comments about everything anymore. I am tired of her.

We arrived the church and sat on our usual seat, as usual.

The reverend talked about forgiveness and giving and I'm sure as hell that my mother didn't understand a thing since she's unforgiving and selfish. I'm pretty sure she could've wished that we didn't go to church today because the reverend's speach might've stung her heart, if she does have a heart which I'm pretty sure she doesn't.

I was surprised to see Miss Adelaide here without Mr. Hemmings. It felt weird.

"I need to talk to the reverend if he can do wedding ceremonies outside his parish. Wait for me by the car." My mother ordered me, "-And, don't dare to disobey me this time." She gritted thru her teeth and I nodded, not having any other choice.

As I head towards the exit, I felt a hand on my shoulder taking me by surprise.

"Hello, Miss Adelaide." I exclamed nonchalantly.

"Darling, just call me Adelaide. I'm just a few years older than you." She smiled.

My eyes widened, who knew she was younger than Luke? I never had expected this.

"Oh..okay, if you insist." I gave her a smile.

"Are you on your way home? I could give you a ride if you want? My car is just parked over-"

"No its okay, my mother is just inside talking to the reverend. I'm just waiting for her." I answered as we walked by the nearest bench.

She nodded, "I could wait with you if you want. I'm not in a hurry anyways." She smiled, her voice is so sweet and I can feel guilt creeping under my skin.

"Its okay, you really don't have to." I tried my best not to look like I was trying to get rid of her.

"Its not a problem, I've been meaning to talk to you anyway." She gestured us to seat on the bench so I obliged.