Chapter One: The Beginning

Once my alarm started blaring, making annoying rings everywhere, I sat up. Pressing the snooze button for a long time before exhaling a sharp breath.

"Tatum, are you awake?" My mother's irritating voice came from behind my door.

"Yes mother," I called out. "I hate the fact that I am." I whispered then rolled my eyes, thankful that she couldn't see my disrespectful action towards her or else I would really have it.

"Now, now. Get ready before you get late for school." She exclaimed, her heels clicking unto the tiled floor outside my bedroom.

I let out another deep sigh before standing up.

In the shower I swore a lot of times. How can I be such an idiot and forget to press the heater button before jumping in.

I let the hot jets of water touch my cold pale skin. My mother hates me cussing. She said that it is very unlady like or whatever.

After scrubbing my body and rinsing my hair. I went straight to my closet to pick up my damned uniform.

A very short plaid skirt and a button up blouse with my school's logo and knee socks partnered by this hideous shoes that has a buckle on top of it.

My mother is a fan of being conservative and I don't know what came inside her head when she enrolled me in Somerset Manor School for The Ladies. It was an all girls school so it didn't bother me much when it comes to the length of the clothes I'm wearing but I just hate hearing what other people might say.

Nevertheless, I had no choice.

I walked my way down the stairs whilst combing my hair and only to be greeted by Nana. She's the only maid who lasted more than 10 years in our place. I grew up as a kid being watched by her.

"Morning, Nana!"

"Morning, Miss." She politely answered back. "Madame is waiting for you at the table." She informed me.

"Thanks, Nana. You're the best!" I hopped along the hallway.

"Oh and Miss, your mother is not going to be pleased with you combing your hair like that as you walk-" She chuckled,

"Noted!" I exclaimed loudly, echoing the halls.

"Tatum Malory Beck! Were you shouting inside the house?" My mother immediately asked me as soon as I entered the dining hall.

"Mother, I am not denying that I'm not but I didn't shout. My voice was just naturally loud." I sat myself down. Placing the table napkin on my lap.

"Don't answer back, young Lady." He exclaimed calmly as she takes a sip on her ivory made tea cup.

"Mother, I am already 19. Please I am not a kid anymore." Before she could answer more I stood up and ran my way to the living room grabbing my bag.

"Nana, I'm going to school now." I exclaimed before closing the door.

*

I thought that when I get to school I will not perish any punishment from my mother. I thought that I got away from answering back and walking away. But I didn't.

I spent an hour waiting for my driver to pick me up from school but she never came. I had to call our house phone only to be told that no one is going to pick me up because they were told to do so. By my mother of course.

She is seriously trying to damage me permanently.

I groaned as I walk my way down the school steps. Taxis don't go far in this area since rich people are only in this community and I'm pretty sure every house..er-mansion here has their own car..cars.

I walked my way home, eyes glued on my shoes. Counting my steps as I try to not cuss my mother and wish her death inside my head.

"Need a ride, Tate?" A familiar voice exclaimed.

I noticed a black sedan slowly driving beside me with the passenger window rolled down.

"Mr. Hemmings?" I asked,

"I said do you need a ride not utter my name" He chuckled, and I stared at his Adam's apple as they were perfectly moving on his throat as he speak and stubbles of unshaved hair almost covered them as he amuses himself.

I looked away, "No, Sir. I'm okay. You don't have to feel obliged." My voice came out like a murmer.

"Suit yourself then." He shrugged not even trying to convince me. He drove off swiftly, smoke from his engine made me cough myself to death.

What the actual fuck?

And that is how I lost my interest in him from 100 to zero real quick. (I checked him out. I can't believe that I checked out a guy 11 years older than me who is freaking married!). I need to be sedated.