02. choices, choices

It was at times like these that some kind of magic would be useful, Kian thought bitterly as he glared at the cell wall like it would make it move, and allow him to break free without him having to kill his fingers in order to gather lock-picking ...

It was at times like these that some kind of magic would be useful, Kian thought bitterly as he glared at the cell wall like it would make it move, and allow him to break free without him having to kill his fingers in order to gather lock-picking materials.

A day and a night had passed him by already, and based on how quickly the ship was moving, Kian figured they had about another week until they reached Hurricane Reef- if Zander had told the truth about where they were heading.

They had untied him before throwing him in the cell, thankfully, and he had been given food for dinner the night before. And then they had left him alone since then, apparently deeming him not a big enough threat to warrant keeping an eye on.

He finished prying the second nail from the floor with a sigh of relief, his eyes hardening. Oh well. Their mistake.

Kian stepped towards the cell door, reaching through the bars and grabbing a hold of the lock. It was an older model of the tumble lock, a tried and true lock straight off of the Barrier Isles. Easy to make, it was the standard lock on most seafaring vessels. It was also painfully easy to pick.

The door opened with a click a moment later, and Kian smiled before stepping out.

"We were wondering when you'd break out," a voice said, and Kian barely reigned in a screech of surprise as he wheeled around to find Beckett, the first mate, leaning against the wall outside his cell.

"How long have you been there?" he asked, shifting into a fighting stance- like he'd actually be able to do anything when she had a multitude of weapons strapped to her sides.

"Since this morning," she hummed. "Myra figured it'd only be a matter of time before you got out. She wanted someone down here when you did." She eyed his hands, where the nails were still clutched in his grasp. "I bet those were a bitch to get."

Kian said nothing, eyeing the light behind her, weighing the decision to just race past her and up into the bright light of the open deck. Not that that would get him anywhere, trapped on a boat in the middle of the ocean and surrounded by lady pirates who could rip him to pieces with half a thought.

Beckett studied him, hand drifting towards the cutlass at her waist. "Now, whatever it is you're thinking, I think you're smart enough to know that even if you were able to get past me, it would do you little good." Her lips curved slightly. "And it would most definitely fall on the side of doing something stupid, and neither of us want that. So do us both a favor; drop the nails and step back into the cell, please."

Kian's shoulders slumped involuntarily, sighing deeply before he complied, the nails falling to the floor with a clatter as he stepped back towards the cell.

"I'm gonna have to search you now to make sure you don't have anything else," Beckett said following him into the cell. "Hands above your head, and if I see you move an inch towards one of my weapons, I'll gut you before you can move another, got it?"