"oh father.."

"..good morning walnut." His voice was tired, more than normal. "Will you be out long today?"
"Not for too long. Promise. I'll be back before 3 okay?" She spoke, a slight tang of exhaustion lacing her words.  She yawned, swinging her bag over her shoulder, and after giving the elderly cat a quick pat she set off. Down the streets, past the old closed stores and eventually into the town square, the only busy area left around here.
After the "disaster" people don't like to be outside during the day, and especially avoid being out at night.
She looked around, eventually recognising a familiar face and walking over. "Morning. How's the city been?"
"Quiet as always.. say, are you ever called out for cases anymore? I haven't heard about anything major in weeks"
"Surprisingly I've had two. It's just so quiet. They weren't even major." She said, sighing. "I miss the busy Parfaedia. Even if it meant working all day."
"And night"
"Yeah. And night. Say, chestnut, what's the most interesting case you've had for a while?"
"Oh that's a hard one.. well we had a missing person case but turns out they'd just went out of town for the week. " He sighed, leaning against the wall.
"Yikes.." Walnut let out a breath, glancing up. "Well.. best go get my shopping then.. see ya!"
She waved off the other, before heading to a dainty store, with a peculiar sign above the door. The little ring of the bell was the only sound as she opened the door, pushing the heavy wood with all her might. The store had two people in. Walnut and the merchant herself.
"Good morning Cream puff. Any business today?"
"Apart from you, no.. I might move my store. There's no business here." The younger person sighed, flicking her white hair behind her shoulder. "You should see the state of the magic school. It's sad to see.."
"Oh I know. It's such a shame they shut it down.. I was hoping if I ever had a kid I'd send them there." Walnut offered a small smile. She collected her goods and brought them to the counter.
"Just the usual today then?"
"You know it."
"..how's he doing?"
Walnut paused. "..better. he's not so distant now. He spoke to me this morning so I suppose that's a start."
"I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this.. if there's anything I can do, please. Let me know okay?" Cream puff smiled, placing the goods into a paper bag, and sprinkling some form of magic over it.
"Will do" walnut spoke, nodding her goodbye politely as she left.

Truth is the city had been completely empty since Walnut reached the age of 15. There had been a rather dramatic case of theivery, and the cities best detective was on the scene. He'd gotten everyone out to safety, apart from himself, and the elusive Phantom bleu, of course. So when the building came down they were the only two in danger.
Of course seeing your nemesis get crushed by the roof tiles as he reaches out to you would be.. damaging. And the scale of the destruction was enough to have completely ruined a small town. It left a broken city. And a broken man.
Walnut of course understood, she knew her father had been a brilliant detective, and the fact he'd kept the number of people hurt to 2 was very impressive, but it left him out of his job and her with the responsibility of keeping them going.
The force wanted to keep him, but he'd lost his drive, his muse if you will. Everything that kept him in with such passion was gone.
Walnut arrived at their home, opening the door and walking in.
She put down the bag, emptying its contents and sorting them into their designated places. She took a brief moment, spotting something in the cupboard she never thought she'd see again. A little pale yellow envelope, with a blue wax seal, unbroken. How long had this been there?
She picked it up, holding it out of her father's sight and slipping it under her jacket. Eventually everything was where it needed to be, so she left the room and wandered up the stairs.
She had a few hours before she'd have to leave for work, taking all the night shifts after having to take over working completely.
After flopping down on her bed, she pulled the little letter out of her jacket. "I don't remember leaving any of these closed.. I'll open it later.." she placed it down on her pillow, beside her head as she settled for a nap, she needed it. Over working was finally catching up to her.