4.

𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐈
𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝟐𝟑

WHEN JESS STEPPED OFF THE CHOPPER,
the bright sun practically made her medium brown complexion glow and her long dark hair which was pulled up in a ponytail jerked due to the wind coming from the propellers.

"nice view, huh?" scott commented from behind jess, holding one hand over his eyes, the other holding a modest-sized backpack with all his necessities. he's a light traveller, good on him.

"indeed. now come on, we're gonna get this commie if it's the last thing we do. mark my word, lang," jess says tautly. 

scott nods tentatively, "word marked, branigan. now can we find somewhere to sleep? i'm exhausted." 

"you always sleep," jess whined, "let's try to find yelena, please?" 

"she managed to get from venice to missouri pretty quick, jess. we won't find her." 

"we just got here," jess snapped, "have some hope, damn it." 

scott put his hands up defensively. "hey, don't blow up on me, kiddo."

"sorry. i just want to prove myself to s.h.i.e.l.d, show them i'm a good agent," jess admits solemnly. 

scott scratched his jaw uncomfortably, his slight stubble making a clear itch sound. "noo, i'm sorry. you're a great agent and an even better friend. all i'm saying is, yelena's no idiot, we need to stay on the down-low about this." 

"i'm not an idiot either, scott. i come prepared." 

𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐎𝐍 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐄𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐃

scott knocked lightly on the front door of clint's farmhouse. laura opened the door shortly after, warmly inviting them in. the lot skipped past small talk, scott and jess immediately going to set up in a spare room. 

"so, what's the plan, kid?" scott asked, putting his backpack in a far corner. 

"the plan--" jess grunted, shoving a huge suitcase into a barely big enough closer, "--is you," she finished, sighing now that the suitcase is tucked securely into the closet.

"me?" scott scoffed and looked at jess like she was stupid. 

"you said it yourself, scotty, 'we need to stay on the down-low.' i need you to track her in your ant-man suit," she said plainly, arms crossed and hip jutted out per usual. 

scott laughed dryly and shook his head. "yeah, no. not happening." 

"do you want to be part of this mission, asshole? or do i need to tell agent hill lil 'ol scott lang isn't up for the job?" she teased in a baby voice.

scott rolled his eyes and groaned with annoyance, "fine, i'll do your stupid thing."