10.

okay before i get started... WHY DID THIS GET SO MUCH ATTENTION OMG??? ty for all the votes and views! also thanks for putting this in your reading lists, im overjoyed at the fact that you guys like this book enough to save it <3
thats all, back to our scheduled programming.

˚⸼ ➹ ₊⊰

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐑
𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐍𝐘
𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟖

JESS AND YELENA'S PARTING WAS SIMPLE TO THE BLIND EYE,
jess gave her to an officer who worked for s.h.i.e.l.d and said goodbye. but to them, you could feel the pain in their farewell. god, how did they get so close? 

"scott?" jess asked, lost in thought. 

"yeah?" scott replied, his mouth full of taco. 

"is it weird that i hope yelena keeps trying to kill barton? so that we can catch her again? so i can see her?" jess queried. 

scott squinted like he was considering something. "yeah, probably. why do you even care about her so much? you act like you're dating her." 

"i don't know!" jess groaned irritably, "it really doesn't make sense but i just miss her. she's funny and actually kind of nice and.. i just feel like we're connected, y'know?" 

scott looked taken aback by the statement. "oh.. so it is like you're dating her?" 

"i'm not kidding around, scott. it's frustrating." 

"okay, okay," scott put his hands up in surrender, "i don't really know how to help you. i'm sure there are ways to find your best friend aside from breaking the law. you'll manage, kiddo, i know you will." 

"you're a better dad than my real one, you know that right?" jess smiled gratefully. 

"you only remind me every day, thanks though," scott returned the smile, "speaking of, cassie and i made plans to go shopping. i'd best be going." 

"oh, fun!" jess's smile widened to an almost grin. she was happy for scott, envious even. "have a good time. and let cassie know i say hi." 

after scott left the room, jess's mind was plagued with thoughts of yelena, their playful bantering; unspoken looks; and hands "accidentally" brushing when they were near each other. it was all so innocent and friendly at the time, but now that they've separated, it didn't seem so platonic anymore. the truth is, jess didn't want yelena to hurt anyone, but if that's what the latter would have to do to get them to see each other again, jess was willing to take that risk.

𝐒𝐓. 𝐏𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐆, 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐀
𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟖

and of course, across the pond, yelena was broken out of jail and back to her usual mischief, already constructing another plan to assassinate clint barton. she was persistent by nature it seemed.