5. SAFE PLACE

"How are you?"

She turns her head left and up to his face, giving him a questioned look. "What?"

"How are you?" his face stills; a comforting smile hasn't left his face just yet.

"Al, what are you doing?"

"How are you?"

"I'm good. But what's with the question?"

Alistair doesn't say anything; instead, he brings his body rightward to Serena, burying his face on the crook of her neck, and softly lands her on her back. His arms circle her waist, firm grip sending waves of warmth she always longs for. "It's one of my attempts to make you slowly unbosom yourself to me. You got a lot of things in your head, don't you?"

Serena chuckles at his remark. "Bold perception coming out of you, young man."

"Hey, c'mon, share those with me, will you?"

"You made it seem like a bad thing."

"It's not that, Love," he lifts his body, positioning himself hovering above Serena to take a good look at her, using his right arm as leverage while the other manages to move a few strands of her hair off her face. Alistair has always been a fan of her eyes. They're not particularly unique, but Alistair loves the way they can make him struggle to look away. "Keeping things to yourself doesn't make it hurt less."

Serena smiles reluctantly, forbidding her tears to swell up and make their way out. She guides her arms to loop at his neck, fingers grazing from his nape down to his jaw. Alistair closes his eyes for a brief moment before closing the gap between their bodies and hugs her tighter.

"You have me as your safe place, Serena. And I hope you always have that in mind, alright?"