23. DEAR SERENA

"Happy thanksgiving,"

He put the familiar royal blue velvet box on the table, wide open facing me, showing the impeccable diamond ring placed right in the centre. I couldn't process what had happened seven seconds earlier. My eyes slowly went up to him and landed on his deep brown pupils. He was nervous, staring at me expectantly.

"What is this?"

Those three words are the only thing I was able to say. The more I looked into his eyes, the heavier my breath got.

"If you're thinking I'm proposing you, then you're a hundred percent correct." He chuckled, resulting in a smile on my face as he leaned closer. I could feel his fingertips reaching out to mine, slowly intertwining our hands.

"I'm very grateful for the past years I had with you. I thank God above for allowing me to be a part of your life. I know our journey is quite bumpy and a little rough, but never did I think of settling with someone that isn't you. I want to return the same amount of love you gave me by giving you my all. I want to be the one you ask for help when the sink gets clogged, I want to pick you up from work and have a McDonald's drive-thru dinner and eat it straight in the parking lot, I want to be someone who holds you when you feel the world is a little too unfair, I want to be the man you call "my husband", and if God decides to grant me another wish, I want to hear the first cry of our little angel in the future with you and only you.

My next thanksgivings wouldn't be complete without you in this place called house. Now, to the woman I forever cherish and adore, the first sight I want to see at dawn, will you let me take care of you until my last breath?"

When I thought God had already provided everything I needed, He graciously sent me another gift in the form of a man who's willing to love me with all my flaws and scars. God proved that I'm still worthy of something greater than love itself.

So I take his offer with no hesitancy, assuring he knows that his name will fill every chapter of my new book.