Chapter 19: The Prince who no longer seeks Glory

As mentioned before, Joanna’s house was not a place where neighbors would often pass by or frequent. In addition, because she inherited the title “The Witch of the Wilderness,” people expected her to live in the wilderness or in a sparsely populated area. So it was understandable that not very many villagers lived near her. Her dwelling was an unpopular location at the edge of the village.

However, recently there seemed to be one more person living in her abode. Suddenly a lot more villagers began to pass by her house out of curiosity. Just what kind of person would the indifferent physician bring home?

“Good morning, Aunt Susan.”

“Good morning!” Susan was the neighbor that lived nearest to Joanna, and was naturally the most frequent passerby, “is Joanna up yet?”

Ian smiled. “She got up earlier, but now that the sun had risen, she had gone back to sleep.” Joanna’s body clock was different from everyone else’s. Because of her skin’s sensitivity to the sun, she would stay indoors to nap until early evening. When she wasn’t tired, Joanna liked to pull up the curtains for a bit of sunlight so she could read. Such a leisurely habit would continue until midnight when she would head back to rest. But no matter what time Joanna slept, she would always get up before sunrise to start off her day.

“Let me tell you young man, you should convince her to eat more meat. She really is too thin! The last time I shook hands with her, her palms were really cold!” the neighbor advised. Ian worriedly thought of his goddess. Most people needed to cut back on meat, but even the villagers noticed her thinness and encouraged her to eat more…..Are her hands still suffering from coldness?

“She’s still affected by the chills, so I’m planning to buy some packs to warm her up later,” Ian said. “Does Aunt Susan know where I can buy a stove?”

“Of course I know!”  she beamed. “The village blacksmith’s craft is quite good. If you tell him that you need a stove, he would be willing to craft a special one for you, especially since you’re a good man!”

Aunt Susan wanted to continue chatting, but Ian hurriedly interrupted her when he saw that the sky was growing brighter. “It’s already noon, wasn’t Aunt warming a soup on your stovetop? I’m afraid that Uncle might be waiting in the field for your delicious meal. Thick soup isn’t as good when it’s cold.”

When Susan suddenly remembered her husband, she hurriedly nodded and left after giving a few perfunctory remarks.

Ian smiled and waved at the enthusiastic aunt. Seeing her retreating back, he bowed his head and continued to heap soil to cover the roots of a flowering plant. Once he was sure that the newly planted rose bushes were firmly grounded, he stood up slowly and walked towards the house.

Joanna was very skillful in her medical practice. Ian felt that his hands looked no different from an ordinary person’s. However, Joanna would still feel pity whenever she saw the scars on his hands. His numerous wounds were deeply imprinted due to lack of treatment for a long time; its appearance was unpleasant enough to attract stares, but Ian still insisted that it “looks just like a normal person’s.” His days of being imprisoned by the crazy Vivienne had caused his body to suffer a terrible loss—even with the help of Joanna’s rehabilitation and medicinal baths, his internal injuries that compounded during his cursed state as a frog could not be fully healed. He would not be able to restore the former strong physique he used to have.

Joanna did not approve of Ian’s frequent work of sweeping the leaves or cleaning the garden. However, he still wanted to do something for Joanna and for their family. Besides…

He missed the feeling of being able to use his hands. In between his efforts, Ian needed to rest for as long as he could whenever his wrist would start to weaken and tremble. Just like now. As he slowly stood up from the garden soil, not only were his hands shaking, even the muscles on his legs were trembling…Within the twilight, the man looked young in appearance, but his movements were like an elderly person’s.

“You went out again.” Joanna was angry at Ian for not listening, so her tone was colder. She worked so hard to save him and yet he actually didn’t cherish his own body. He acted foolishly, wasting her own efforts.

“Don’t be angry, my Master.” Ian knelt before her on one knee and lifted the back of her hand as he bent down for a kiss. “Today’s roses have bloomed beautifully, isn’t Master happy to see them?”

Joanna, who was holding her umbrella under her cloak, looked to Ian and grunted, “I was happy, but not after seeing you in the garden. Now, come back to the house with me!”

“Yes, Master.”

He quickly stood up and reached out to hold Joanna’s little parasol, shielding her from the sun more properly. After glancing at him, Joanna walked back into the room with a quick pace, but occasionally she would slow down.

Ian couldn’t help but laugh. He knew that although the goddess sounded very angry, the truth was that she was simply distressed for him. Didn’t she slow down her pace for the sake of his injury?

“If you really want to busy yourself with something, why don’t you try braiding all the yarn in my study? I know a client that lives far away who wanted to buy a hundred ‘blessed’ bracelets from me. Although I won’t be personally braiding them, I can still bestow the blessings after you make them. The effect won’t be as good if I had made the bracelets myself, but I think she won’t mind.”

“Ok ~” Ian opened the door for her and put the little parasol away. He hung the cloak before handing her a cup of water, “I hope that master will not dislike my skill.”

“The braided patterns are important.” Joanna became aware of her thirst when Ian offered her a drink. After swallowing deeply, she passed the cup back to him. “So you have to do a good job. If the weaving isn’t good, I’ll have you take them apart and start over again!”

“Yes, my Master.” After Joanna left the study, he poured some water for himself and….

…drank from the cup that Joanna just used. As their relationship grew closer, he felt that his feelings for her had bloomed.

Immersed in these thoughts, Ian laughed happily to himself.