1

Izzy's POV

My eyes fluttered closed as he slowly slid his rough, calloused hands down the curve of my waist, euphoria rushing through my veins. The world around me blurred into a muffled haze as his lips brushed the skin of my throat, lingering as he pressed a smoldering kiss right above my collarbone.

"I really should be heading home right now," Julian murmured lazily against my skin, his husky voice sending shivers down my spine. He chuckled, as if he knew all about the effect he had on me.

I tightened my arm around his neck, burying my other hand deeper in his raven black hair, the curls feeling like silk underneath my fingertips. "You can always stay the night," I whispered even though it was a lie.

Neither of us ever stayed the night. Neither of us had agreed to that commitment yet.

Julian glanced up from where his head rested on my chest, his lips curving into a small smile. "Only for you to kick me out in the morning?" He asked, a trace of amusement lacing his voice.

I rolled my eyes and continued to run my nails through his hair, studying his face as I did so. I brought my hand up and gently traced the sharp curve of his jawline with my index finger, before I grazed his lips with my thumb. Julian noticed my gaze lingering on his mouth and leaned forward, capturing my lips with his.

He'd just reached for the clasp of my bra when the shrill sound of my phone's ring tone blasted through the silence of the apartment.

Julian groaned as he nuzzled his face into my neck. "Just ignore it," he ordered and I laughed softly, pressing my lips to his shoulder. He lifted himself up again until he was hovering over my body, a determined glint simmering in his gaze. "I mean it, Isa."

I smiled, but didn't say anything. He rolled his eyes as he deciphered the silent message written in my stare and reluctantly pushed himself off of me. He flipped onto his side to lie right next to me and I took the opportunity to grab my phone, which was resting on my nightstand. Casting a quick glance at the clock, I frowned as I read the time, wondering who could be calling so late at night.

It clicked when I saw the name lighting up my screen.

The same sensation I experienced every time one of Ethan's friends called me crawled inside, instantly turning my blood cold. I felt my heart drop as I stared at the phone, dread twisting at my insides.

What did he do now?

I felt Julian watching me as I quickly answered, jerking upright in my bed.

"Chase?" I rushed out before he'd even had the chance to say hello. "Is he okay?" I asked as I slipped out of my bed, treading towards my closest in the hunt for some clothes. Behind me, the sheets rustled as Julian shifted positions, his gaze tracking me across the room.

I knew what the answer was going to be—it was the same every time—but I had to ask anyways just to settle that small silver of hope I always held out for him.

Chase hesitated and in the background of the call, I could hear loud music pounding and muffled voices, the noise telling me all that I needed to know.

"Chase!" I snapped, quickly throwing on a sweater and zipping it up to cover my chest. Using my shoulder to prop my phone against my ear, I snatched a pair of black leggings and put them on, not bothering to close my closest as I scrambled to find my car keys. "Answer me!"

"He's fucked up again," Chase let out a deep breath as he finally replied, the exhaustion audible in his voice. "He was gone for a few hours, I don't know where, but he's back now. I don't know what happened. He's acting..." he trailed off and I froze. "He's acting different."