14 (pt.1)

Izzy's POV

The morning after Sophia and I spoke to Ethan, and he agreed to getting help, I was making myself a smoothie in the kitchen when Elijah walked in. I gave him a distracted smile before I turned back towards the task at hand.

"What time is your flight?" I asked mindlessly, turning off the blender before grabbing a glass from the cabinet above the sink.

"In a few hours," he replied and I felt him come to a stop beside me. Elijah leaned against the counter, his gaze tracking my movements as he spoke. "I need to talk to you."

I looked over at him, pausing in the midst of pouring the mix into my glass. "About what?"

"Come sit with me," he said, his voice cool and collected. He didn't wait for a response as he walked off, heading in the direction of the living room.

I finished pouring my smoothie into the glass before I dumped the blender in the sink. Grabbing the drink, I turned around and followed Elijah, anxiety starting to tug at my nerves as I wracked my brain for possibilities as to what this could be about.

I took a seat across from Elijah, watching him expectantly. "This isn't about Sebastian again, is it?" I questioned in a small voice. I didn't want to think about him anymore.

"No, but I'm sure you'll hate what I'm about to say anyways," Elijah murmured, looking like he didn't want to be here either as he rubbed a tired hand across his face. "But it's important and it's something I never really covered with you."

My brows furrowed and I opened my mouth to ask for clarification when suddenly, I heard the front door open and the voices of Ethan and Caleb trailed through my apartment. They'd both returned to their place last night, but Ethan had only gone back after Sophia had spoken with him. Kaiden had left to drop Sophia off at the hotel she was choosing to stay at, but I figured he'd be back soon. He was staying here in California with me for safety reasons while Elijah left temporarily.

"Fuck," Elijah's eyes briefly closed and I studied him curiously.

"What's wrong?"

He opened his mouth to reply, but my brothers interrupted us with their loud voices as they stalked into the room. Both Ethan and Caleb paused as they spotted us.

"What's going on here?" Ethan asked with his eyebrows cocked. I almost did a double take at the playfulness in his tone. It was something I hadn't heard in what felt like months.

"I need some time alone with Izzy." Elijah's voice was sharp. "Go somewhere else for a while."

Ethan and Caleb exchanged a glance, their curiosity only growing at Elijah's adamant tone.

"Why?" Caleb asked. "What are you talking about?"

"Why can't they stay?" I questioned Elijah myself, staring at him with furrowed eyebrows.

Elijah's eyes flashed with irritation. "Izzy, you don't want them to stay for this. Trust me on that." He glanced at our brothers. "Leave."

I guessed Elijah forgot that Ethan always did the opposite of what he was told, so instead of leaving, he treaded over and took a seat right next to me.

"Well, what if I wanna stay for whatever this is?" His tone was mocking. "You can't just not include me, I'm a part of this family."

I studied him carefully. I was sure the surprise I was feeling at his demeanor was visible in my features and for a moment, I wondered if I'd dreamed about the vulnerability he'd shown Sophia and I last night. He'd looked so low; so lost last night. Now, he seemed like a completely new person. He was practically vibrating with energy and playfulness, even his eyes were glittering like he was full of life.