The Sky Is For Friends

Performing surgery on someone with a regeneration quirk was a nightmare. After all, they weren't meant to need surgery in the first place. But Garaki persevered and was thankful that All For One had an extremely high pain tolerance or this would not have been possible. Anesthetic had simply been metabolized, which meant that this had to be done without that benefit. Hisashi was not willing to risk the amounts of drugs that would be required to knock him out.

Still, every time Garaki cut, the wound healed quickly. It meant he had to cut larger portions, so that he could work on an area before it healed and that had left him covered to the elbows in blood.

"This is not working," Kyudai growled, as he cut again at the skin that covered Sensei's eye sockets. He had everything ready to go for the moment he made the cut and the new eyeball was resting on the man's cheek.

Garaki cut the skin away and then shoved the eyeball into the opening before regeneration could take effect. It wasn't exactly his finest work but he kept coming back to the fact that surgery was not something someone with a regeneration quirk needed. He was meant to delicately place the eyeball and ensure that the optic nerve connected along with blood vessels but just didn't have that long to work. So this was more akin to introducing foreign, yet familiar material and hoping the regeneration quirk accepted it.

It was not working.

Kyudai shook his head and pulled back his hands. The cut he'd made healed as he watched and the eyeball was absorbed into Hisashi's body.

"I'm not sure this is possible. Or if it is, you are going to give up the regeneration quirk while I conduct surgery," Garaki told All For One.

The man brought himself out of whatever trance he had put himself in while Kyudai was operating. Garaki watched as Hisashi flexed the muscles on his face. It was as if he was stretching the scar tissue again or feeling how the muscles went together. The Doctor couldn't really fault him for it. He had had to cut quite a bit, but now that the operation was over, there was no change to Hisashi's condition.

"Prepare something then," All For One said, as he sat up. He summoned a small basin and spat blood into it before hissing as he ran one hand over the depressions that were his empty eye-sockets.

"I will," Garaki promised.

"It is perhaps too good of a quirk. Is there anything else on the registries?"

"Nothing obvious," he replied. He ran constant searches over those quirk registries he had access to but people tended not to put descriptive names down for regeneration quirks. Garaki suspected it was one of those policies that was never officially written down but was enforced. It made sense and was much safer for the individual.

All For One nodded. He knew that, and he knew relying on registries was a poor way of finding quirks but at the moment, he was somewhat limited. He much preferred to see a quirk in action before he took it. Then he would have a better idea of its limitations and the most obvious uses.

"I think it's time for Izuku to acquire another few quirks," he murmured.

The Doctor knew what he meant but it wasn't up to him to do anything. "I'll go clean up," he said, reaching over to remove the surgical sheet from Hisashi. It was, like most of the things involved in this surgery, covered in blood.

All For One didn't reply and Kyudai knew the man was thinking.

He shook his head. There had to be an easier way of doing this.

He just had to find it.

-ted-

One of the things Izuku had been able to pull off his old phone was Inasa's number. He'd messaged his friend as soon as he was able to, explaining that his phone had been destroyed and that he'd only now gotten a new one. That's when Izuku had learned that silence was really hard to deal with. It had taken days for Inasa to answer but eventually the black eyed boy had.