Prologue Part 1: The Ring

"Sir, we won't make it before it arrives!" The officer warned.

Alarms blared all throughout the building, warning of the danger that was coming.

Yet, the scientist just continued relentlessly. Paying no heed to the officer, he carefully put a strange device on top of a golden ring. He knew that this...this thing was more important than his own safety.

"Please, sir, we only have 10 minutes left to get out of here!" The officer pleaded.

The scientist added small, iron-like bands onto the ring.

Sighing, he mumbled to himself, "That should do it."

He then placed the finished ring into a pipe next to him. The ring was sucked quite suddenly into it, and started clanking around around the lab as it flew in the pipes.

Satisfied, the scientist turned to see that the officer had left.

The scientist just sighed, knowing his last moments on this Earth was going to be spent in this dark, dreary laboratory, instead of with his family. He glanced at a picture frame, with him, a dark-haired woman, and a child.

He smiled, reminiscing. His first days in the world, his childhood, his high school days, his marriage, his first invention, and his last, which was being sent around the laboratory right now.

If he had a chance to live his life again, he thought, he wouldn't change a single thing.

*shwoop*

Then, there was nothing.