part 3

winter, 2028

True to her words, Jennie does end up staying in Seoul for the holidays. She hasn't had a great track record in keeping promises (as evidenced by recent events) and she actually wants to change that, so she uses her time off of FIT to get into a plane for a surprise visit.

It's only been a few months since the breakup – or the non-breakup as her and Rosie weren't really together – and Jennie's heart is still a little tender, judgment still a little clouded and mind still occasionally daydreaming of some astronomically small chance of her and Rosie getting back together. She doesn't think she's ready to see her now, but after all, will she ever be ready to see her? It's easier to rip off the band-aid than tiptoe around it, or so she thinks. And besides, if she saw Rosie so soon after all of it, maybe it'll make it easier for her to process the fact that she should really just start moving on and stop with her unbelievably pathetic pining over a girl who's never going to take her back.

When she wakes up, she's still on her plane seat and she's made aware that there's still two hours until touchdown. She then sends a message to both Jisoo and Lisa, along the lines of Pick me up, my flight is arriving at 6 PM and I fully expect you two to be there when I touch down. It takes a little time, the wi-fi is a little shit, shit enough that Jennie can't even play a youtube video, so she goes back to sleep.

Soon enough, the plane does touch down and she remembers her sizeable dislike for 14-hour flights. Despite having slept most of that time, she drags along her heavy suitcase sluggishly as she gets out of the packed airport. It's quite a relief to be back after a while – she's back at home, and it'll always be her home. She reaches the lobby and fishes out for her phone, hoping from a text from either one of the girls and sees that she does have one from Jisoo.

16.46, Kim Jisoo: You are INSANE you should've told me sooner. INSANE. Do you know how far the airport is? I BARELY HAVE TIME TO GET READY. You're INSANE and you owe me dinner.

She laughs at the characteristically over-eager text message, already typing out a response when she hears somebody call out her name.

"Jendeuk! Jendeukie!"

Jisoo is beaming at her, waving at the very best of her abilities with a bodyguard along with her (Jennie knows him – he's been their bodyguard when they had concerts and had to exit venues). It's a ten-watt smile, and Jennie finds herself returning it when she sees Jisoo holding a small placard messily scribbled with welcome home, Jendeukie! all over it in neon sharpie colors, and Jennie guesses that if Jisoo had been given enough time she would've gotten balloons along with it too. Because of course she would do that.

She wheels her bags which weirdly feel immediately lighter and drops them to wrap Jisoo in a bone-crushing hug.

"You missed me too much." Jisoo teases when they part.

"Like you haven't." She returns, remembering the countless midnight calls they exchanged just talking about their day and critiquing each other on how they deal with their problems ("You really can't judge me on this – you hid your relationship from your best friends for years." "What does that have to do with anything?").

"How have you been? You look horrible."

Jennie laughs. She's home.

Her friendship with Kim Jisoo has always been very simple: they don't see eye-to-eye most of the time, they bicker like siblings and it would take a long speech from either Lisa or Rosie to force them to make up when they have an argument, but even after all of that, they love each other. Jisoo's pretty easy to make happy – a simple glazed donut from the nearest Krispy Kreme would have her over the moon – and so, here Jennie is, prepping up a plethora of junk food (popcorn, diet coke, and the honey butter chips which Jennie finds absolutely abhorrent but still bought because she knows Jisoo likes them) on the coffee table while Jisoo's sitting on her couch comfortably, propping up the remote to pick from the selection of musicals displayed on the TV.