Chapter Twelve

12. Consumed

'but death was her curse, and her gift'
-Sarah J. Maas

 Maas

  The crack of a fire.

Chewing.

The snarling growl of walkers, muffled.

Chewing.

  She couldn't decide which sound made her skin crawl more, every nerve and hair standing to attention as she pushed through the murky waters of unconsciousness.

  "Probably pretty stupid to be here. Dangerous."

  A man's voice shoved Zeppelin over the edge of fully awake, and her eyelids snapped open, before she squinted against the searing sudden light of the fire.

  "You can see the threat. That's something," the stranger continued.

Her eyes found him.

He kneeled in front of the fire, his back to her, though she could see a chunk of something he gnawed on.

  "Looking at them makes me feel better about things. My mom used to say that every day above ground was a win. Doesn't really apply anymore, but.. you can still get some perspective."

He turned then, and her heart rate faltered.

  Gareth.

She hadn't let herself think of him since they left Terminus. Whenever her brain would tease some image of the smoke and blood, she would simply rationalize that he was taken by the walkers or the flames, shut and lock that compartment, and continue on with her day.

  She should've known better.

  The small fire before them flickered in his dark eyes like glimpsing into a circle of hell and chills ran down her body. She frantically turned to look at the rest of the group, people she didn't recognize, as they huddled around the fire, each of them looking uneasy at being exposed in an old school courtyard.

The crumbling building was full of walkers, slamming themselves against the doors and windows, ignoring the way it smeared their flesh or crushed their bones, solely focused on satisfying their hunger.

Zeppelin watched the group, whose gaze was settled on something to her left. She followed their cold, hungry eyes.. to see Bob next to her, slumped over against a pole, untied for some reason..