Chapter Twenty Four

24. First Time Again

 First Time Again

Stay calm.

Stay quiet.

Don't scream.

Don't breathe.

They'll hear you.

They'll smell you.

They'll grab you.

They'll get you.

"Wait, you were actually serious!?" Zepp seethed, tossing her pack on the ground. She could feel the heat of her anger creeping over her skin, reddening her ears more than the heat of the glaring sun.

"Z," Rick sighed. "I don't have time to argue with you about it, we gotta go," he ordered as he fastened his colt into its holster, straightening his shoulders. He looked like shit and had bags under his eyes, but a fire blazed behind them, newly lit under the pressure of their task.

The situation at the quarry was worse than they had imagined. What they assumed would be fifty to a hundred walkers turned out to be hundreds, maybe a thousand, and Rick immediately set about assigning a plan of action to everyone in town.

Zeppelin's plan of action? She was to stay here and keep an eye on everything.

"I'm not staying here like a damn house wife while you all go risk your lives! What the hell are you thinking?" She couldn't contain her poisoned words now, irritation spewing out with every syllable. She knew she shouldn't be so mad, that Rick always had a reason for everything he did, but something was making her especially tense today.

"You don't get it," his voice dropped low, dangerously cold. "I don't trust these people. I need someone here with my children while I deal with the herd. You told me once I could always count on you to protect them, are you taking that back now?"

Her shoulders dropped, as did her eyes.

"Of course not," she sighed. Nothing could stop her from protecting the Grimes kids, and Rick knew that. He'd never let her forget it, not that he'd need to.

"We're just doing a practice run today," he offered with a grim smile, softening his tone. "We won't be gone long." He turned sharply on his heel, whistling to the others to follow him to the gate. She jogged to catch up, searching for the face she needed to see most in the crowd of people.