Chapter Fifty

50. The Fox and The Rabbit

'some say the world will end in fire.
some say in ice.
from what I've tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favor fire.'
-robert frost

'-robert frost

Run.

Just keep running.

If she could run a bit faster, push her strides a bit longer, then maybe she could make it through the woods without collapsing.

  Zeppelin dashed as fast as she could manage with Lisa just behind, struggling to keep up, her one good arm clutching the shoulder still dangling out of place. Their legs threatened to buckle under their weight, and still, they kept running. Each labored breath pierced her aching lungs, sending shockwaves of pain like webs of lightning across her rib cage, and still, she would not pause.

They skidded to a stop behind a pile of large steel beams just outside the back of the chain link fence enclosing the Sanctuary. Zeppelin waited for the sounds of crashing through the trees, and it wasn't until she realized they didn't come that she finally released a long breath.

"Okay," Zepp said, her voice unwavering as she shoved her fear down so deep that it didn't hurt anymore. "I'm going to have to pop your shoulder back in, alright? Turn around." Lisa closed her eyes and nodded, pressing her face into the cold steel as Zepp gripped her wrist and pulled it gently back towards herself, bracing one hand against Lisa's dislocated shoulder. "Ready?"

"Do it," Lisa growled, clenching her teeth.

"On three. One," she lied, and with one quick motion, Zepp tugged the arm back and pushed her shoulder forward as Lisa cried out, clenching her fists so tight the bones threatened to poke through the skin.

  "Okay, you're done," Zepp huffed, readjusting the pistol shoved in her waistband before slicing through the rope connecting them. There was no point in keeping her close any longer; at this point, they could die the moment they were seen. Whether she had Lisa with her or not made no difference. And since it seemed like the girl couldn't help her anyway...

Lisa looked down, her brows knitted in confusion as she rubbed the raw flesh at her wrist. "Thank you," she hesitantly murmured. They both checked their surroundings as Zepp adjusted her supplies.

"What do you know about that hallway we came out of? There were a lot of doors; could one of those lead to the cells?"

"I mean, they might. I guess it would make sense," Lisa said discontentedly. "That room you were in is the doctor's, so he'd be nearby if they... needed a doctor for one of the prisoners." She grimaced and rubbed her shoulder again. Zepp resisted the urge to tell her to leave it alone, or it'll just hurt worse tomorrow.