22

Chapter 22
❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

He looks up from the computer and at you.

"Huh?"

"You didn't hear me? Why did-"

"No, I did. I just don't know how to respond to that. Why are you asking?"

"I've been wanting to ask you for a while but I didn't know how to bring it up. We've been broken up over a year and you never told me why you did it. Why didn't we work out? We were good together and you just left me out of nowhere. Was there a reason?"

"Y/n, drop it. Let's talk about something else."

"Why Yūji? I finally have the courage to ask you and you're just gonna turn me down? If you think I'm trying to ruin your current relationship I'm not. But I at least deserve to know why."

Terushima sighs. "You said you want honesty? Fine. I wasn't happy anymore. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"I figured. Was it me? Was it something I did?"

"We should get back to the presentation."

"Stop changing the subject", you say beginning to get upset.

"You're not gonna leave this alone huh? Okay. Our relationship was toxic and it was fucking draining. Talking to you was like talking to a wall. You were always overly jealous and possessive. There was no trust there."

"Yūji, I-"

"No, just listen. You wanted honesty and I've wanted to get this out for a long time. You never truly trusted me. Anytime you'd lash out, you compare me to other people. Why would anyone want to hear that?"

"So you're saying everything was my fault."

"That's not what I said. You'd act as if you could never do any wrong. Yeah sure, I wasn't perfect either, but at least I'd come clean and apologize when I did something that upset you. With you, it was always 'you're overreacting', or 'it's not that big of a deal'."

"Well you could've tried harder to talk to me about it."

"You don't think I have? I'd always try just to have you make me feel insignificant. See, that was your problem. You're ignorant."

"I'm ignorant?"

"Yes! You are! And you were always so insecure. As if I was doing something behind your back. Did I make you feel unwanted or something? Was I not doing a good job reassuring you?"

"Yeah, I think you were right. If you're gonna put everything on me we shouldn't be talking about this."

"How do you manage to make yourself the victim every time?", he asks. "You've always been stubborn. Even when you know you're wrong you'd never admit it. You'd just come back like everything was fine. And not to-"

"Alright, dam. I get it."

"I don't wanna stress you out anymore. I'm dropping this conversation. No use worrying about the past. We'll just finish this work another time."