Chapter 31: New Year

At the Hayes' home the next morning Samara and Zay were rudely awakened by loud banging and the sound of various voices shouting from all over the house. Samara desperately wanting another hour of sleep buried her face into Zay's chest and groaned.
   "Mom has the decorators here early. I'm so sorry. I should have warned you," she mumbled into Zay's skin as she kissed his neck and ran her hand over his stomach.
   Zay yawned and stretched before rubbing his hands down Samara's bare back. "It's all good. That just means we get to be loud too," he said smiling down at her.
   Samara looked up at him and snickered, before crawling up his body and climbing into his lap. "I love how your brain works," she whispered before kissing him and sliding her hand beneath the comforter to feel his nakedness in her hand.
"Sam, are you up!" they heard Valencia call out. Samara looked at Zay and pouted. He just chuckled in response.
"No!" she shouted back.
"I need you downstairs! This won't take long!"
Samara sighed and yelled, "Okay, be down in a minute!"
Zay pulled Samara close and kissed her cheek profusely. "Go see what she wants. I'm gonna hit the shower," he mumbled.
Samara frowned and gave Zay's lips a quick kiss. "Okay. Love you," she uttered as she turned to get out of bed.
"I love you too."
..
On the veranda outside Samara met up with her mom who was busy chatting away. "Ma what did you—?" Samara stopped talking and squealed. "Oh my goodness! Los what are you doing here? You're supposed to be in Germany," she said hugging her older brother, Carlos. Carlos laughed and squeezed her tightly.
   "I pulled a few strings and was able to come up to see my favorite baby sis."
   "I'm your only baby sis," Samara laughed.
   "Which makes it so much easier to say that," Los teased. "Where's that new boyfriend of yours? I saw y'all booed up on Instagram."
   "He's upstairs taking a shower," she grinned. "I'll make sure to officially introduce him later."
   "You better. I hear it looks like he's one of the top draft picks."
   "Yeah, that sounds about right," Samara chuckled.
   "That's quite impressive," Carlos nodded. "So, please tell me the rumors about him aren't true."
"No," Samara laughed. "They were just lies from a jealous ex and speaking of jealous ex's," Samara grinned, "How's Nora?"
"I wouldn't know," he cheesed. "I cut her off for good. You'd be proud of me."
Samara nodded her head and smiled. "Wow. I am proud of you. Toxic was not a good look on you," she teased.
"I agree," he replied with a head nod, "That's why I'm engaged to Jessica."
"Jessica?" Samara questioned, "You never mentioned a Jessica to me when we last talked." She leaned in and whispered half jokingly, "Is she white?" In the seat across from Carlos, Valencia snickered and then mumbled, "I asked the same thing," causing her and Samara to burst out laughing.
"Come on y'all! Jessica's can be Black!" Carlos protested.
"But is she though?" Samara asked, and then her and their mom laughed again.
"Yes! Why y'all acting brand new? I ain't never did that before!" he huffed. "I ain't never brought y'all home a white girl!"
"We're not against it, son, we just had to ask because you live in Germany," Valencia said holding back a laugh. "We know it ain't that many Black women up there."
Samara smiled. "When can we meet her?"
   "In a couple hours," he grinned. "Her plane gets in soon and I'm going to the airport to pick her up."
   "O-kay!" Samara smiled. "So, what's her stats? What's her family dynamic like? I wanna know everything."
   "Damn. You are just like mom."
   Samara laughed. "What! I gotta know who my brother is marrying, but either way I'm going to welcome her. She's my future sister-in-law!"
   "Well. She's originally from upstate New York. Raised in Orange County. Grew up in a two-parent household. Mom is a surgeon, father is an architect. Three brothers, two sisters. Tight-knit. Currently holds three degrees. Working on the fourth, and I'll let her fill you in on the rest when she gets here."
Samara nodded her head impressively and smiled. "Daaamn. Sounds like you got a good one. Can't wait to meet her."
"She can't wait to meet you either. I think you'll like her."
"Fingers crossed that I will," Samara smiled. "Okay. I'm gonna head back inside. I need to officially start my day with a shower. I'll see you in about an hour?" Samara said to Carlos.
   "Definitely. We can do lunch before Jess gets here."
   "Yeah. Sounds good," Samara smiled.
..
   After spending some quality time with each other and introducing their significant other's, the Hayes siblings were partying hard at their mom's New Year's Eve extravaganza. The house was full of family, friends, government officials, and the Hayes' colleagues all cheerfully taking part in the New Year's Eve celebration.
   Sam, Los, Zay, and Jessica were all sitting together at the bar drinking and having a good time when the butler approached Samara.
   "Sorry to interrupt Ms. Hayes," he said in her ear, "but there are some girls in the foyer claiming to know you."
   "What?" Samara questioned as she set her glass down. "And you let them in? Were they on the guest list?"
   "They were on the VIP list."
   "What the hell Grayson! We don't have a VIP guest list. Look around. Everyone here is VIP."
   "Okay. Then I'll just go back and get them," he smiled.
   "Wait. Grayson no—!" Before Samara could say anything further the butler had already disappeared into the crowd. Her brother, Zay, and Jessica were all looking at her. "That is so weird. Do y'all know who he's talking about?" she asked. They each shook their head no. Samara sighed and asked the bartender to refill her glass.
   "The VIP guest have arrived!" Samara heard a familiar voice say behind her. She turned around and was shocked to see, Mena, Natalie, and Zen walking up to her. She nearly spit out her drink.
   "Oh my goodness! Guys! What are y'all doing here?" Samara gushed. She looked up at Grayson who had escorted them in. "Thank you," she smiled.
   "You're welcome Ms. Hayes," he grinned back. "I knew who they were." Grayson chuckled. "I was just messing with you. Your mom told me to put them at the top of the list."
   "Oh my goodness! Imma get her," Samara laughed, as she stood up to greet her friends. "Hi guys! I've missed y'all!"
   "Hey sexy," Mena said kissing her cheek."
   "Hiii Sam!" Nat said hugging her tightly.
   "Whatchy'all drinking?" Zen butted in as she greeted everyone. "I'm ready to get turnt!"
   "Well hello to you too!" Samara laughed.
   "Sis, I love you with all of my heart, but I just saw you yesterday," Zen laughed.
   "Damn bitch! Touché," Samara grinned. "Ben, can you pour this rowdy bitch a drink?" she laughed.
   "You got it Ms. Hayes," he winked.
   "Oh damn!" Mena interjected. "They call you Ms. Hayes around here! Well excuse me."
   Samara laughed and playfully shoved her. "Girl, that's because my family is hosting an event tonight. On the weekends it's Sam. Ain't that right, Ben?"
   "That's right Ms. Hayes," he grinned.
   "Mm. I think I like that," Mena grinned. She looked at Ben. "I'm Mena, but Ms. Wright if ya nasty," she laughed.
   Ben nodded his head and blushed a little bit. "Got it. Ms. Wright," he smiled. Everyone erupted in loud laughter.
   "Mm. I know that's right," Zen said downing a shot. "Get yours sis!"
   "Okay y'all let me introduce y'all to my brother and his gorgeous fiancée." Samara turned around and pointed them out. "This is my brother Carlos Hayes and his lovely fiancée, Jessica Jackson." Everyone waved and said hi to each other.
  "Well, it is so good to finally meet Sam's mysterious brother," Mena teased.
   "Right. She always talked about you, but we ain't never seen you," Natalie added.
   Zen chimed in and laughed. "We were beginning to think you didn't exist, bro."
   "I can't believe she left out that you were engaged," Natalie said playfully chiding Samara. "We thought we knew everything."
   "Hey! I just found out today like the rest of y'all," Samara grinned, "but from what I can tell Jess is amazing," she said smiling over at her.
   "Aw, thank you," Jessica said with sincerity in her voice.
   "Aw hell, Jessica 'bout to replace me as the new sister," Zen teased.
   Jessica laughed. "Hey, I ain't trynna take Samara away from you. We can coexist peacefully in this sisterhood."
   "I like you," Zen smiled. "I like her," she grinned to Samara.
   "Uh oh! Look who finally showed up!" Valencia said walking up to the group. "It's good to see you ladies," Valencia grinned as she hugged them. "Do y'all need anything? We have plenty of drinks and food so please feel free to help yourself."
   "Well you know us mama Vee. We helped ourselves to some drinks first." Zen laughed.
   "Okay. I see somebody came with a plan," Valencia teased. "Y'all're staying the night right? We certainly have plenty of space for y'all."
   "Of course Ms. Vee! We missed our girl," Mena answered. "Plus we have much to discuss!"
   "Yes y'all do," Valencia laughed as she looked between Zay and Samara. "Okay y'all imma go mingle some more, do my hostess duties. Y'all should introduce yourselves to some of the people here. It's a lot of money in the room, a lot of good opportunities too," she winked.
   "Sam you don't invite us over enough," Mena started. "Your mom is well connected. I need her in my life," she gushed.
   "That's because y'all are always busy on expensive vacations with the family, drinking wine, and partaking in queen shit. It's hard to get y'all out here."
   "As are you," Mena stated with a grin.
   "And do! But y'all're always welcomed here. Whenever y'all wanna come down just hit me up."
   "Say less fam. We finna come down for the summer."
   "Ooh. Y'all we should plan an after graduation vacation. Where y'all wanna go?" Natalie replied.
   "Count me in," Zen said sipping on her drink. "I know I'm a year behind y'all, but I'm one of the girls," she laughed. "We can go to Italy. Our family has a villa out there."
   "Shut up! We do too!" Samara grinned.
   "Well I hope you guys can squeeze in our wedding during your summer vacay," Jess interjected. "We're thinking early August."
   "Oh. That soon?" Samara smiled at Carlos.
   "What can I say baby sis? When you know, you know."
   "Okay Los," she nodded, "I'll make sure to add you guys in my calendar. Just keep me updated?" she said now looking at Jess.
   "Yeah. Sure thing," she smiled.
   "Sam? Who is that guy that keeps looking over here?" Mena interjected.
   Samara followed Mena's gaze to help her identify the guy. "Oh. That's Devin. The senator's son."
    "Hm, okay," she grinned. "What's the deets?"
   "Well," Samara smiled, "He's twenty-five. Morehouse undergrad, Masters from Columbia, and currently attends Yale law. He's also very single and from what I hear he's," Samara paused and looked back at Zay and then back at Mena, "favored by God," she said discreetly pointing down below. All the girls burst out laughing.
    "Well then it looks like I will catch you ladies later," she grinned. Mena waved to them as she walked across the room to mingle.
   After Mena left everyone decided to disperse and enjoy the party away from the bar.
...
"Okay everyone!" Valencia shouted. "We have five minutes before the countdown officially begins!" With that Samara rushed off to find Zay. After about three minutes she found him standing outside on the terrace.
   "Hey Superstar! What are you doing out here? The party's inside."
   Zay looked up at her and smiled. "Hey beautiful," he grinned, "I've been waiting to get you alone all night."
   "Well why didn't you come whisk me away?" Samara grinned as she walked over to him.
   "You were having fun. I didn't want to interrupt," he smiled.
   "Well, the fun is almost over. It's almost midnight," she said smiling up at him.
   "I know," Zay said pulling her closer.
   "Any new year wishes Zaytavious Jones?"
   "I'm looking at her," he grinned. In the house the countdown had already began. "Twenty, nineteen, eighteen..." they heard everyone shout.
   "Very smooth," Samara grinned.
   "I wasn't trynna be smooth," he smiled as he placed his hand on her waist. "I'm just happy to have you."
   Samara couldn't stop smiling as she leaned in to kiss him. Inside, everyone shouted, "Happy New Year!" while these two lovebirds were already sharing their New Year kiss.
   "I'm happy to have you too," Samara replied after they broke away from their kiss. Samara looked up at him and grinned before grabbing his hand. "Come on! Let's do a toast!" She said pulling him back inside.
Samara quickly grabbed two champagne glasses off of the serving tray and handed one to Zay. Zay looked at her and grinned.
"What are we toasting to?"
Samara grinned back and held up her class. "Here's to a year of success, pure joy, and genuine love. This year is ours! We're going to dominate 2022!" They both cheered to Sam's declaration and drunk from their glasses.
"Happy New Year!!!!" Mena said rushing over to them with Natalie and Zen alongside her. "This is gonna be our year!"
Samara was so excited as she looked around at her friends. She really believed that this new year was going to be amazing for her. Her and Zay were finally together and she couldn't wait to see what new and crazy things were in store for them. Whatever it was she knew that they weren't going anywhere. Their love was true blue, tight like glue.

Hey guys! This is the final chapter of True Blue. Thank you guys so much for reading! I love y'all 😭. Currently I am writing the epilogue, editing it, and revising it. I've been working on this story for a while now and I am tired, lol. Nonetheless, if y'all would be interested in a book 2 about Samara and Zay post college let me know! Peace and Blessings fam 😘.

- blackgirlwrites ✌🏾❤️