Chapter 13: Can't Look Away

...
After saying their goodbyes, Zay, Samara, and Diem headed out to enjoy the night while it was still young. Samara took the backseat and let Diem take the front as Zay drove them to a destination unknown. During the ride Samara caught Zay stealing glances of her in the rear view mirror. When he knew he had been caught, he didn't hide himself away from her like others might've done, instead his eyes lingered a few seconds longer, until Diem said something to divert his attention elsewhere. Unable to respond, Samara just looked out of the car window and smiled to herself. She wasn't quite sure what Zay was thinking in that moment, but catching his eyes on her was an unexpected surprise, one that made it a little hard to breath, and not because it made her nervous, but because it made her want him in a way that made her blush.
When the car finally came to a stop, Zay announced that they had just arrived at an indoor mini golf course and arcade. Samara was pleased with his choice and hoped that the excitement of the night would keep whatever she was feeling at bay. The three of them exited the car feeling enlivened and ready for the fun to begin. As they walked into the place they made jokes on how they were going to dominate at whatever games they could get their hands on. Empty threats were made and challenges were accepted all in the spirit of good fun. Even though it was after twelve a.m. their night was just beginning.
"No Diem! Move," Samara laughed. "I know how to shoot."
"No you don't. I just watched you miss three baskets back to back," Diem chuckled.
"That's only because the net moved," Samara explained. "It caught me off guard."
"Let a pro show y'all how it's done," Zay said pushing them out of the way. He stood in front of the game, picked up a basketball and started shooting. When he was almost at a perfect score Samara knocked the ball out of this hand just as he raised his arms to shoot. As Zay turned around to confront her, she smiled and quickly took off running through the arcade. Zay ran after her and eventually spotted her leaning against a wall to catch her breath. When she saw him approaching her she stood up straight and smiled.
"For an athlete you move pretty slow," she teased.
"I'm not exactly in comfortable clothing," he said standing in front of her. "Why'd you knock the ball out of my hand?" he smiled.
"What are you talking about," Samara said feigning ignorance. "That was an accident."
"I could've won that game," he smiled.
"Well, I guess now we'll never know," Samara grinned as she moved him out of her way. Zay was quick and stepped in front of her, blocking her path. Samara looked up at him and grinned. "I knew you liked to win, but I never took you for a sore loser," she teased. She made another attempt to move, but Zay caught her arm. "Wait Mar," he smiled. "Don't leave yet." Samara stopped then turned back around to face Zay.
"Why," she asked with her brow raised. Not waiting for a response, she leaned her back against the wall behind her. "Okay. You got my attention superstar. What's up?" Samara looked at him and could tell that Zay was still searching for his words. She reached up and playfully stroked his chin. "Zay," she called softly, as she tilted his head down to look at her. Zay looked down at her and smiled before speaking up.
"I gotta question, but I 'ont really know how to ask it."
"Just ask it Zay," she shrugged. "What's up? What do you wanna know?"
"Well, it's not really a serious question or anything..."
"You're stalling," Samara smiled. "What's on your mind?"
"Ar'ight," he started, "back at the restaurant when D asked who Jules was you said 'no one'. What exactly did you mean when you said that? Is something going on with y'all?"
"Oh," Samara responded in surprise. She straightened up. "Well, what I meant was that he wasn't anyone significant in my life since we aren't together." Zay nodded his head, slowly taking in every word. Samara took a moment and paused. "Well, because we were just...you know..." Samara couldn't bring herself to say the words. She had already told Zay what the extent of their relationship was months ago, but for whatever reason she just couldn't say it in front of him tonight.
"Right. Of course," Zay said nodding his head.
"So, uh. What...did you mean when you said it?" Samara asked with a raised brow.
"Uh. You know. The same thing."
"Right. That's what I figured." For a second they just stood silently in front of each other not really knowing what to say or do next. Samara shifted her back against the wall and smoothed out her dress.
"Zay," she said slowly lifting her head, "I wanna tell you something."
"Something Jules related or something else?"
   "Um...it's Jules related."
   "Okay," he said nodding his head. He was mentally preparing himself for the worst.
   "He ended things with me tonight. After the game."
Zay's face relaxed. He thought that she was going to tell him that they had made things official and that the comment about him being "no one" was really meant to keep hidden her true feelings for Jules. Zay exhaled. "What happened? Are you okay?"
"Oh, please. I'm fine," Samara reassured. "It wasn't like we were in a committed relationship."
   "True," Zay nodded in agreement. "Sooo, what did he say? Why'd he end it?"
   "Oh. He was just beginning to feel that...um..." Samara searched for the words. "...That I wasn't really into what we were doing anymore. He thinks that I'm into someone else." She placed her hand at the side of her neck and looked at Zay. "Um, I know it's not earth shattering news or anything, but I just thought that you should know that," Samara said giving a quick smile.
"Or at least the version that you wanted to tell. There's more right," Zay inquired, rubbing her arm back and forth with his thumb. Samara was silent. "Am I allowed to ask who this mystery guy is?"
"No, and don't start, okay," Samara said looking away from him. "Just let it go."
Zay turned her face back to his. "I'm right, right? There is something that you're not telling me."
"Yes, but I'm not ready to reveal all of it yet."
Zay raised his brow at her. "So, we are keeping secrets?" he teased.
"No. I just need a minute to get my thoughts together," she said fiddling with his hand. "I'm not asking you to like it. I'm asking you to respect it. Can you just be my friend and do that?"
"Of course," he said kissing her forehead. "Take all the time you need. I'll be here when you're ready to talk." Samara looked down at Zay and softened her demeanor. She wasn't really mad at him she just didn't want to confess all of what Jules had said to her. "We good?" Zay asked holding out his arms. Samara walked up to him with a slow smile forming and opened up her arms to hug him.
"Always."
Zay grinned and quickly slid his hands around the satin fabric of her waist. He gently pulled her against his tall, athletic frame, leaving no room between them. Samara breathed him in gingerly as his hands caressed her back. The longer they lingered in their embrace the harder it was to leave. As they slowly began to pull away Zay held her gaze. Then, almost as if he was giving in to what he felt, Zay let his eyes wander down to her lips, taking notice of their shape and the way they slightly parted as she watched him. Samara standing there enraptured, was acutely aware of his hands still glued to her waist and the growing desire to feel him everywhere.
"I-I think we should get back to Diem," Samara said interrupting the intimate moment between them. Zay gave her a dazed look as he tried to make sense of what she had just said. He replayed the words in his mind before finally coming to his senses and stepping away from her reluctantly.
"You're right. He's probably wondering what hole we fell down." Zay held up his wrist and checked the time on his watch. "We've been here for almost two hours. We probably should be heading out anyway." Without thinking Zay slipped his hand in Samara's. "Let's get you home Mar. You know it's past your bedtime," he joked, lightening the mood between them. Samara laughed as they walked hand in hand.
"Boy please. I'm grown. My bedtime is when I say it is and it's," she paused and held up Zay's wrist, "past my bedtime. Damn it's late."
"I told you," Zay said letting out a chuckle.
When they finally reached Diem he was sitting at their booth. Just as he began to look up to acknowledge the pair, they let go of each other's hand. "Hey. I was beginning to wonder what happened to y'all," he teased."Listen. Y'all about ready to go? I'm kinda beat man."
"Yeah. Let's roll," Zay replied. "It's late and me and Mar got class tomorrow."
"Say no more," Diem said standing up. "You want me to drive since you rode down?" he asked as they headed for the exit.
"Nah. I'm cool. Thanks man."
"No problem." Diem looked over at Samara. "Sam, you mind if we switch seats? You take the front and I take the back?"
"Sure," she quickly agreed. "It's only fair since you hogged Zay up earlier," she teased.
"See I knew you was a hater from the jump," Diem joked. "Don't worry. Your boyfriend is all yours tonight. Imma be sleep in the backseat." Samara laughed and started to reach for him, but he quickly ducked into the car for cover. Samara chuckled to herself and let him be. Feeling a little worn out herself she slid into the front seat where Zay was already waiting.
During the ride home Samara thought about what Jules had said to her earlier. Was he right? The words, 'How long have you been in love with Zay?' replayed in her mind accompanied with all the moments they had shared together. She racked her brain trying to pinpoint an exact time or location for when it happened, but came up short. She tried to remember if it was a smile or a laugh, or something he said, but couldn't seem to just pick one thing. Samara tried to think of a moment when she wanted him most and thought of all of them. He was always the first person she called when things were going good or bad. It didn't matter. If she needed cheering up Zay was who she went to. If she needed a shoulder to lean on he was the first one there. If she needed advice he gave it freely. He was always her number one. I think Jules was right. I'm—"
"Hey Mar," Zay said breaking her train of thought.
Samara responded quickly letting the thoughts vanish from her mind. "Yeah. What's up?"
"Thanks for coming to the dinner on such short notice. It really means a lot to me."
   Samara, with her head resting comfortably against the chair, looked over at him. "You're important to me," she uttered, "I wouldn't have missed it." She offered a warm smile in his direction, all the while working hard to fight back the tears that would reveal her true feelings if she didn't keep it together. Without notice, Zay brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it quickly.
   "I love you Mar," he said with one hand on the steering wheel. "I really lucked out with you as a friend."
   Samara quickly dabbed under her eyes when he wasn't looking. "I love you too." Zay glanced over at her and smiled, completely oblivious to what she had just confessed.