2

I'm in a completely different continent from where I was last week.

I was barely even able to get furniture for my new apartment.

I know no car.

I was coming home from the store with my groceries when I came across a cafe.

"Purrfectly Brewed?" It was a cat-themed cafe.

I love cats.

I looked at the groceries in my hand, then back at the cafe.

I should drop these off first.

I walked home slightly faster than before. I messily organized my groceries in the fridge and cabinets, then made my way back to the cafe.

The cafe wasn't too busy. It was pretty chill. The foods and drinks all had cat-themed names.

I went up to the cashier and ordered. When I got my drink, I sat at one of the cat-shaped tables.

This is a good environment. Man, I love cats.

I wonder if they have any job openings.

I walked up to the cashier after finishing my drink. "Hello... Are you guys hiring currently?"

The woman had a crisp, clean British accent. "Yes, we are, actually. Are you looking for a job?"

"Yes... I just moved here from America."

"Oh, how wonderful. I love your accent by the way." She disappeared through a door for a few seconds, then came back with a paper. "Do you need a pen, darling?"

I nodded my head. She pulled a pen out from under the counter and handed it to me.

...

After I filled out the paper and handed it back to the girl. Her name was Haruki, I found.

Later that night, I got an email from... I assume the manager?

"I looked over your job application. I'm just going to give you the job. From your resume, you seem like you'd be a good asset for our team, and Haruki commented that you seemed like you would be 'friendly enough' for the job. We only have her working for most days, so I'm sure they would appreciate the help.

You'll work Mon-Thurs, 10-6pm, starting tomorrow.

Best regards,

Akira."

That seems highly unsafe of you, Akira.

But I won't say anything since I needed this job more than anything.

...

The next day, I was working. Haruki showed me where everything was and how to use the register.

"Do you know how to make coffee?" She asked.

"I worked at a Starbucks before moving here."

"Then it shouldn't be too hard for you." She smiled.

...

Around three, business was slow. Not many people were coming in.

I was sitting in front of the register, spacing out. Thinking about... something I'm not sure of.

I heard the bell of the door opening ring.

I looked up from my lap to see a man with fluffy brown hair.

"Oh, hello there, Wilbur."

"Oh, cute neighbor. I didn't know you worked here." He said.

"Ha..." I could feel my face getting slightly warm. "Yeah. This is my first day. What would you like to order, Wil?"

"Can I buy some of your time?" He smirked.

Oh, my lord.

"Oh, that's real cute. Is there anything you actually want?"

"Yes, in fact, there is."

..........

526 words

12/2/21