Chapter 19

It took Zellon a couple of days to fully recuperate. As he was resting the temperature began to drop, indicating winter was right around the corner. While he was recuperating Monica pestered him for putting in an order for the custom stained glass windows. She went with ones that were spelled to keep out the outside temperatures. Zellon had admit, he was excited to see his new windows, but he didn't want to know how much it was going to cost. Monica has learned that it was best she handle any expensive payments to keep her mate from having a heart attack.

Today Zellon was to report to the Halos to discuss his findings from his investigation. He walked into the council chamber where all four Halos waited. "What did you find below the main floor," Luka asked him.

"I followed the scientists instructions and found an elevator waiting below the main elevator. From there I was taken too a single hall. The first two halls didn't branch and had rooms that were further spread apart. I believe these rooms to be experimentation rooms or meeting rooms. The third floor doors were much closer together and this branched off into three different directions. When I got to this floor I could smell a corpse but I hadn't located it. Instead I followed the sounds of crying. There is where I found one of their scientists Huego Mortis, his body torn into by the things that have been attacking many. He called them Screenigs. When I asked about Black he said he was the son, that someone else named Lingely was before they died," Zellon reported to them. "The rooms were all locked with a key card and number combination so I didn't get the chance to search the rooms. The halls were too quiet to give any indication what kind of machines could be housed inside the rooms."

"When did you come across the Screenigs," Lady Justine asked. "I am aware Lord Luka gave you a message to back out after he received your recording."

"It was as I was leaving," he answered. "Five of them were waiting at the elevator. When I threw the Holy Water grenade is when they began to let out a high pitched sound that nearly killed me. The sound was at a high enough pitch to disrupt my heart beat, cause internal bleeding, and caused my ear drums to burst."

"How were they traveling through the halls," Lord Picter asked him next.

"Through the air vents. I had seen foot prints leading up to it from Huego's body," Zellon answered.

"That is cause for concern," Lord Juri muttered as he wrote the note down. "They entered the Halos' chambers through the windows," Lady Justine reminded him.

Lord Luka nodded, "It's safe to assume we could also be targets to put another one of their members with Halo marks in a seat of power."

"I don't doubt we are for a moment," Lord Picter said with a nod. "We need to put Holy water coating on the exterior and interiors of our homes."

"We need to look into any other potential victims," Lady Justine commented.

"I find the majority deserve what's coming to them," Luka shared with them.

Lord Juir scoffed, "Coming from the ling of criminals, that's not surprising. Luka shrugged, "Think what you want but you can't ignore the facts. Most of the past victims are those who were assisting with the inhumane experiments Myro was conducting so they deserve what comes to them."

"Is your daughter included in that? After all she's been attacked twice," Lady Justine asked, causing Luka and Zellon both to growl at her.

"My daughter was only dragged into this because of that Fae bastard. It would be in your best interest to keep her out of it," Luka warned her. She put her hands up in surrender, "No need to point your goons at me. I have no ill intentions where your offspring are concerned."

"Moving on," Lord Picter prompted. "We need to find more suspects and get them to spill on this Lingely. What are your suggestions Zellon?"

"By now they've most likely moved their base of operations and have cleaned it out," Zellon shared. "We will need to locate any potential bases of operations. We must also pull the security cameras and reference them to employee files and projects being worked on, to try and find the possible suspects."

"You don't think they'll abandon the project," Lord Picter asked Zellon. Zellon shook his head. "I find it very doubtful. From what I've learned they're trying to make the Screenigs indestructible to ensure they have the perfect soldiers."

"That's exactly what they're doing. We believe this Lingely is trying to recreate history. Before the four Halo Goddess took her seat of power, these cursed beings, known as Screenigs, ran about as enforcers, doing the King of Darkness' bidding. Our people were enslaved to him, nothing more than puppets. This piece of the past we do not teach in school because it speaks of the Goddess' weaknesses. The King of Darkness had been able to permanently injure her, breaking one of her Halos. That Halo, was known as the fifth Halo, the Halo of purity. Once the Halo had been broken it weakened her, but she was still strong enough to kill the King and take out his enforcers," Luka shared with Zellon.

Zellon was shocked. The Goddess they worshipped once had five Halos?

"We too were unaware of the full history until the Keeper of the Halos shared it with us once we took over," Lady Justine shared with him. "Its incredibly concerning that someone is trying to recreate the Screenigs and take the Goddess's throne. We fear if history does repeat itself, everything we know will be gone."

"But I thought the experiments were for some kingdom overseas," Zellon asked them.

"That's what they believed. Myro most likely thought the same as well," Lord Juri told him. "We have to do whatever it takes to put an end to this madness before it's too late."

They spoke for a while, until it was late. Monica became more worried as each hour passed. Dexter made a shot into the pocket, "He's fine Mo." "Who knows what they have him doing," she told him as she lined up her shot. "I'm sure if it was anything bad it would be on the news by now," Daphne told her from where she was flipping through the channels on the TV.

Monica sighed, "Unless what he's done hasn't been broadcasted yet." "Maybe it's not something dirty. It could be in regards to what happened to him," Dexter said while chalking the tip of the pool stick.

They could toss around ideas for hours but it still didn't change the fact he still hadn't returned.

When they left she stayed up, trying to read her romance novel but her mind kept plaguing her with thoughts of 'What if'. It was incredibly nerve wracking.

When he finally got home she was quick to put her book mark in its place. She was happy to find him free of blood and having a lighter look in his eyes. "How did it go," she asked hesitantly. "We were discussing various theories and plans this so called Father could have in store for us. Unfortunately it's confidential and I don't trust our walls enough to share it with you," he told her. He cupped her cheek, "You understand that don't you?"

She nodded, "Of course I do." Some confidential stuff could get her killed if it was discovered that she knew. It was safer this way.

He gave her a kiss, "Have you eaten?" She shook her head, "I haven't." He nodded, "Looks like we're in for a three course meal. Good thing two of them can be had at once."

"Are you sure you're okay enough for me to feed from? It'll be heavy," she told him. He let his thumb run over her bottom lip, "I'm more than capable of  giving you what you need. I know you've been trying to get by with the canned essence."

Monica caved, "Food first, you're gonna need it."