Chapter 7

Zellon didn't get back till sunrise, and although he needed to rest, he only had enough time to wash and change before he had to wake up Monica who had clearly fallen asleep while waiting for him. Monica woke up blurry eyed. She was still wearing the clothes from yesterday and she felt stiff from the way she had fallen asleep. "Go shower, while I make breakfast," He told her. "We have to meet Rigor in two hours." She sat up, rubbing her eye, smearing the make up she had slept in even more. She got up, and grabbed her clothes, too tired to say anything. "What time did you fall asleep," He asked her. "Depends, what time is it now," She asked him before yawning. "Just after seven," He replied. "Barely an hour ago then," She told him before walking towards the bathroom to shower. 

She sprayed herself with cold water to jolt herself awake before washing. She dried and dressed quickly so she could have time to eat. Neither said anything as they ate. She went and threw on her shoes before stepping into the bathroom to do her make up and hair. She braided it because she knew they would be flying. She didn't have the energy to argue with him on their mode of transportation, so she simply went with it. 

Zellon flew them to HQ and met Rigor at the entrance. "Go wait in our office," Zellon told Monica. She nodded and went to his office while he and Rigor began to make their way to the tech lab. "What the fuck Zellon," Rigor whispered. "What," Zellon asked him. "The Belerinies," Rigor said. "What did you do to them?" "What the council asked me too," Zellon told him, not giving much explanation beyond that. The Belerinies were a family of coyote shifters who had been in service to the council for generations. Until they decided they didn't want to be under the council's thumb anymore. The council instructed Zellon to make an example out of them, ensuring anyone else who worked for the council didn't get any ideas, or they would receive the same fate. It getting out what Zellon had done, was meant to happen. It was another reminder to him that he was nothing but a monster. That monster is why the council found a way to employ him, ensuring he will never rebel against them. 

They got to the lab where Layla was sitting in her chair. "It was heavily encrypted," She told them as a way of greeting. "It's why it took me so long to find you anything." She then hit a button on her keyboard, "What I found though, was some of the most fucked up shit. I give you, Project Sunshine. Such a beautiful name for something so grotesque." She pulled up a video, where a man was strapped to a table.

"Isn't that Corstin Lestat," Rigor asked. "He was supposedly executed a few years ago." They watched as one of the scientists who had been killed recently inject him with something. A few minutes later, he thrashed and screamed. His skin began black, eyes red. He seized on the table. Suddenly his chest began to expand. He expanded to the point he exploded. He was still alive, screaming, staring at the gaping hole in his chest. One of the scientists used a gloved hand to pick up one of the rib bones that poked out. It looked more like an overcooked noodle. The man's body began to heal. Once it was healed, it happened again.

She paused the video, "There are many more videos with several scientists and victims. Agents are currently tracking the other scientists now."

"It will be a while before I eat pasta again," Rigor grumbled in disgust. "I want copies of these videos sent to me," Zellon told her. "Already sent," she told him. Rigor clapped him on the shoulder, "You and Monica go home, when the scientists are found, I'll let you know. You both need to rest." "Wait, Monica," Layla asked curiously. "I've been hired to protect her," Zellon said, looking at his phone, seeing the emails of the videos.

"Uh huh," Layla said. "You fucking her?" Zellon looked at her, brow arched, "Why would you ask me that?" "Because she is hot," Layla said. "Even your cold hearted self should be able to see that." Zellon shook his head "No, I'm not having sex with her." "Can I," She asked him. "No," Zellon told her. "But if you're not, then someone has too. Rigor is mated so he's out of the question. I would love to have bragging rights that I got to fuck Monica Artfilia. Everyone is talking about how hot she is, and wanting to tap that. Come on Zellon, let me seize those bragging rights," Layla pleaded. 

"You talk worse than a frat boy," Zellon told her. "Plus, I don't think she's in to women." "I won't know unless I try," Layla told him. "Have you ever had sex with a succubus before," Rigor asked her. "Nope," Layla answered. "That's actually on my, before I mate list. Come on Zellon, I'm not asking to let me get in to a relationship with her. Just a night of fun." "Let's wait till she isn't living under my roof or protection. Then you can chase her as much as you want since she will no longer be my problem," Zellon told her. She smiled brightly, "Then I guess we need to hurry up and figure this shit out." Zellon sighed, shaking his head. 

He and Rigor went to their office where Monica was sleeping on the couch in their office. Rigor took the blanket from his bottom desk drawer and covered her with it. "I know why you're so tired, but care to share why she is," He asked Zellon. Zellon shrugged while looking at his computer, "She has been having trouble sleeping." It was a lie, but he wasn't going to tell Rigor the real reason. Zellon hooked up his head phones before he began to watch the videos that had been emailed to him. 

They were grotesque and made what he did last night look like child's play. There was no telling how many of these experiments had survived and escaped. It could be any of them wanting revenge on the scientists that tortured them. When Monica woke up, he noticed her out of the corner of his eye. He paused the one he was watching and removed the headphones. "About time," Zellon told her. "I'm starving." She stretched, "You could have gone without me." "And make more than one trip," Zellon asked her. "I don't have that kind of time." She rolled her eyes, "What else do you have to go do? Fly in circles looking for an innocent bystander to shit on, bird boy?" 

Rigor choked on his laugh while Zellon bared his fangs and growled softly. "Watch it. I'm not in the mood to deal with your shit," He warned her. She raised an eyebrow, "Or what?" Rigor decided to leave so he wasn't a witness to any blood shed. Zellon growled as he stood. She stood looking at him. Although he was taller than her, and she knew what he was capable of, she refused to back down. "If you were smart, you'd back down," He growled. She laughed coldly, "Have you met my parents? You really think I would be any different?" Stubborn to the core, all of them Zellon thought. 

He growled again as they left the office. Zellon flew them to his usual feeding house. After they fed on blood Monica needed her other hunger satisfied. "Which house do you prefer," He asked her. "The one in the Garden district. It's not far from your place," She told him. 

He took her to it, and decided he would just wait outside. "I won't be in there long. I'll request a quickie," she told him, patting his shoulder as he rolled his eyes. She came out thirty minutes, feeling full and ready to get some proper rest.

He flew them back to his home and he made his way up the stairs. It was as if he could hear his bed calling for him. When he got to his room, he stripped and crawled into bed, falling into oblivion a second later.