𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

+ + +

+ + +

PERU 2023

"MY BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL Delphi." Druig's gravely voice was all the Seer could hear at that moment. The chirping birds and rushing water were dulled by him — his very presence, nostalgic as it was, eased her in a way she didn't realise needed easing. Druig turned his back to the flowing river to stand composedly, bright eyes first scanned her slight frame, to ensure she was real, before settling on her clear eyes. "You were quiet back there, do you not agree with their plan?"

In truth, he wanted to know her belief on what was happening because, of all the Eternals, she was the one whose opinion mattered the most to him. Even after the centuries. To him, she was the same. Her brilliant smile dazzled her surroundings; her sleek hair cascaded with the glowing sun acting like an angelic halo behind her; nervously, she fidgeted under his intense stare with a ring like she had a tendency to do, it was the ring he gave to her; her blue eyes sparkled with a nostalgic joy, they were trained on him and only him. "Ajak is dead," she stated in a quiet, trembling voice, "and I didn't see it and I am yet to see it. I believe in the plan — mankind needs us, it's our purpose, or at least what our purpose is supposed to be. Without us, billions will die. I can't live with that," rather than immediately reply, Druig stepped forward, the Earth crunched beneath his shoes until he was directly in front of Delphi. Gently, he raised his large hand to rest upon her reddening cheek. It had been a long, long time without her. "Can you? These people would die and you're supposed to be the one who protects them. You can't protect them when they are dead, Druig."

"I know, I know," Druig muttered, removing his hand from her face, which felt cold without him, "as always you are right. Our purpose, our origin is a lie but I don't want to let these people die. I just...I just don't know if I can agree with this plan. Delphi, I don't think I can control a Celestial."

"If anyone can, it's you," declared the brunette plainly. All around them the world went on, back in the village the other Eternals gossiped about if Delphi could convince Druig, animals curiously watched the couple's interaction. However, to them, nothing else was happening beside each other.

"Delphi..." he began, softly, but was swiftly interrupted by a booming barking. With great intrigue, Druig tilted his head after twirling around to see the source of the noise. His ears filled with the sound of a happy husky playing gleefully in the river, unaware of the eyes upon him. Next, his ears focussed upon a soft giggle.

"Cerberus!" She called out to the amusing canine, whom she adored. Instinctively, Cerberus halted and turned his undying attention to his companion. "You are so adorable." She said in Finnish, which he understood better than most dogs. Cerberus trotted through the river towards a grinning Delphi and a poised Druig.

"Is this your...companion? You always said you wanted one," Druig noted, reminiscing on all the times she had mentioned wanting a companion like Cerberus. Not a pet, a companion — there was a clear, undisputed difference between them. "I must say you are a handsome boy." Rubbing a strong hand on Cerberus large head, Druig admired the strong dog, who had angled himself to be in front of Delphi. Understanding the mind controller, the canine let out a low-pitch whine, before striding to stand beside his companion protectively.

"Will you help us then?"

Pondering for a moment, he replied: "for you, my beautiful, beautiful Delphi, I will."

"