𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚

+ + +

+ + +

IRAQ 2023

COLOSSAL PILES OF ancient texts, books, suits of armour, weaponry, modern technology, a sarcophagus and artefacts from nearly every century and country littered the Domo — it was a bizarre orchestra of mayhem to the eye but it acted like a physical library to much of the humans long, often controversial history. At the centre of it all was Makkari idly lounging on a stolen, high-backed hair, reading a book. Druig entered the room, silently chuckling at the state of the room and Phastos' vexed reaction. A melodic symphony of classical music echoed lightly through the cluttered room — a chaotic room with perfectly constructed music. The juxtaposition controlled Druig's thoughts for mere moments until he began to feel as if something was missing — or someone. The sinking feeling in his stomach was back with unrelenting vengeance. Why? Was it because of the Emergence or something else? Sinking mixed with nausea and dizziness danced through his body and mind, distracting him and his unfocused thoughts.

Had he been able to focus he more than likely would have noticed she was gone — as well as the ever-faithful and attentive Cerberus and far less loyal Ikaris.

The deaf woman — who had felt the floor oscillate at the multitude of footsteps belonging to her fellow Eternals, plus the fascinated Karun — turned to face the group with a bright, chirpy smile. The floors vibrations were like a beacon from home approaching her. "Ready to go home?" She signed to them.

"Hmm," Kingo hummed, scrunching up his face, "about that..."

Makkari's face dropped when she noticed two people were missing. "Where are Delphi and Ikaris?" Druig and Kingo were the first to react, whirling around in the hopes they were hidden behind one of the many heaps of Makkari's possessions. Sprite also began to look around wildly but not for the same person. Swiftly, they came to the conclusion neither were there — but if they weren't there, where were they? Druig's face dropped into a jarring frown; akin to the one Kingo wore, he wordlessly fretted over his friend's whereabouts. Worry flourished within him.

An explanation for the sinking feeling was uncovered. Delphi took it away and his mind unconsciously sensed her presence no longer lingering. Additionally, his agitated unconscious distinguished the danger Delphi faced. 'Where the hell is she? Please let her be okay,' silently prayed, pleaded Druig — to whom he did not care so long as his prayers were answered.

"Delphi!" Yelled Kingo, praying his call would be answered. Only the echo of his accented voice acknowledged him. "Delphi!" He repeated.

"Delphi! Cerberus!" Called Druig, whose head snapped from left to right desperately searching, the timbre of his speech dithered uncertainly.

"Ikaris!" Sprite thunderously called out. Whilst Sersi — the wife of Ikaris — chewed nervously on her lips, she was less bothered by Ikaris' vanishment than Sprite. Her eyes scanned lowly for a sign from one of the missing trio but mainly from Delphi or Cerberus. It was unlike the Seer to dissipate, especially when her abilities were needed to save the planet she occupied and loved.

Each cry was to no avail. Silence spoke louder than any reply. Something was wrong.

Kingo tried one more time, a waver in his voice. "Where are you?" Footsteps responded to him this time — a single set of solid footsteps, devoid of a set of paws. It was neither Delphi nor Cerberus. Kingo began to panic further, despite endeavouring to mask it.

Ikaris appeared — much to the annoyance of Druig, who continued to search with his icy eyes — strutting into the room, a smug expression on his vexing face, an odd tinge of faded red could be seen beneath his nose. "Delphi took Cerberus back to the jet, said something about him overheating. Don't get why you'd bring a bloody pet like that into the desert."

Druig didn't fully believe him.

Whether it be instincts, gut, or a higher power of some description; he simply couldn't believe the poisoned words leaking from Ikaris' mouth. Nor did Kingo. His smug nature and bláse tone remained Druig of what he loathes, what drove him away from society and into the Amazon Rainforest. Nonetheless, the others seemed to accept it without consideration or further questioning. Kingo's dark yet warm eyes detected Druig's — they met and silently agreed on their suspicion of Ikaris.

"Cerberus isn't a pet," Druig responded, irritated more than usual, "he's Delphi's companion — there's a difference."

Ikaris retorted, rolling his eyes in ignorance, "we have bigger issues than this." Clearly, he was vexed. Perhaps it was his mildly askew nose that was irritating him so. His blood filled nostrils rushed like the River Nile but he was able to wipe the evidence of his crime before it was noted. Not only would his actions be discovered, the fact he permitted Delphi — someone who Ikaris habitually viewed as feeble and dispensable — to physically harm him in such a way would bring immense volumes of humiliation.

Albeit, he must admit he underestimated the power of her wrath.

"Still a beast," retorted Sprite nonchalantly, assuming her comment would not be answered. Her sarcasm sunk deep into the invisible wounds Druig bore at the disappearance of Delphi.

"Who was it again that complained to Sersi about not having a dog?" Snapped Kingo, his voice entwined with sharp ice, which plunged deep within Sprite's heart. "It was you, Sprite, so hush."

"I believe that is what young people call a 'burn', Sir," marvelled Karun enthusiastically, "and don't worry I got it all on camera." A blush, red as fire, erupted in Sprite's cheeks as laughs were stifled all around the room. She stayed silent.

"Indeed it is, Karun."

The Eternals collectively moved in order to begin their plan to prevent the Emergence. Sickly, Ikaris' face twisted into a smile believing he would win. In retrospect, he should not have once again underestimated Delphi — especially after brutally harming Cerberus before her pale eyes. Indeed, he also should not have once again underestimated Cerberus, who held a grudge with the strength of a dozen super soldiers.

Although the bars of the cage were invisible, Druig felt them all the same. Trapped, wounded, ignorant to the truth and helpless; Druig did not know what to do — time would guide him.