6. Breaking the News

The next morning, Elena rolled out of bed and ran straight to the bathroom to be sick. Hermione heard Elena getting up, so followed her into the bathroom. She found Elena crouched down in front of the toilet. Hermione knelt down beside her, and held back Elena's hair while she was being sick.

Once Elena had finished, Hermione stood up and got her a glass of water from the side. Elena drank some to get the bad taste from her mouth. Then Hermione passed her a towel to wipe her mouth.

"Thanks, hun," said Elena, as she stood up and flushed the toilet.

"Are you still feeling bad?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," said Elena.

"Go back to bed," said Hermione. "I'll go to the kitchens and see if I can get you some ginger tea."

As Elena went back to her bed, Hermione put on her dressing gown and headed out the dormitory. She came back a short while later carrying a tray with a teapot and cup. She placed the tray on Elena's bedside cabinet, and poured her a cup of tea.

"Here, drink this," Hermione said, as she passed the cup to her.

Elena took a sip of the tea. "Eeewww, yuck. It tastes like gingerbread," she said.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Just drink it, you will feel better," she said.

As Elena drank the rest of the tea, there was a noise from one of the other beds and Parvati Patil got out of bed. She started walking towards the bathroom, but then stopped and came over to Elena's bed.

"Hey, are you still feeling unwell?" Parvati asked.

"Yeah, just an upset stomach," said Elena.

Parvati looked at the pot of tea and gave it a sniff. "Is that tea with honey and ginger in it?" she asked. "I remember my mum saying she used to drink that when she was pregnant with us."

A look of panic flashed across Elena's face and she started to blush. Parvati noticed her expression and gasped in shock.

"Are you pregnant?" Parvati asked.

"Sshhhh, not so loud," said Elena.

"You are, aren't you," said Parvati.

"Okay, yes. I am pregnant," said Elena. "But please don't tell everyone. George doesn't know yet, and I want him to hear it from me first."

"Ohmigod, that's so huge," said Parvati.

She gave an excited squeal then rushed over to Lavender's bed. "Lav, wake up," said Parvati. "You won't believe what's happened."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "We said don't tell everyone," she said.

Elena sighed. "I guess I better hurry up and talk to George," she said.

Once Elena had confirmed to Lavender that she was in fact pregnant, she and Hermione got dressed for breakfast. Then they left the dormitory and walked down to the Great Hall. When they arrived, they saw George and Fred having their breakfast. Elena sat down beside George and reached out to hold his hand.

"Good morning, baby," said George, as he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, can we go somewhere private?" Elena asked.

A big grin appeared on George's face. "Yeah, okay," he said, excitedly.

Elena rolled her eyes at him. "No, not like that," she said. "I meant to talk."

George kept grinning and winked at Fred. "Okay, let's go 'talk'," he said, as he stood up and left the table.

Elena scowled at him as she stood up, then followed him out of the Great Hall. They left the hall, then took a turn towards the dungeons. George stopped in front of a statue and glanced around to see if anyone was watching them.

"Secret passage," George whispered.

When the coast was clear, George tapped the statue's ear four times. There was a click, and a doorway opened up on the wall behind the statue. George quickly squeezed through the opening and disappeared.

As Elena followed George through, the doorway closed behind her. She found herself in a small passageway that was lit by floating candles. As she looked around, George grabbed her around the waist and pulled her in for a kiss. Elena forgot what she was doing in the moment, and melted into his lips.

When George slid his hand down and grabbed her bum, Elena remembered what she was supposed to be doing. She pulled away and stopped kissing him.

"No, we needed to talk," said Elena.

"Of course, that's what I'm doing," said George, as he went to kiss her again.

"No. I'm serious," said Elena.

"Okay, okay. What did you want to talk about?" said George.

"Well..." said Elena.

Now the moment had arrived, what should she say? Should she just come out with it, or should she break the news gently? She just couldn't decide.

And how would George react? Would he be angry with her? Maybe he would even want to break up with her? Elena's mind started spinning again. There were too many thoughts going around inside her head.

But no, she thought. This was George, and Elena knew how much he loved her. George would definitely want to stay with her. Wouldn't he? She decided to break the news gently just to be sure.

Elena took a deep breath to calm herself. "Okay, so you know a few weeks ago when we were together in the Room of Requirement?"

George got a big smile on his face. "Yeah, I remember that," he said.

"And do you remember the part when I asked if you had a condom, and you told me there was a charm you knew instead?" said Elena.

"Yeah, a type of shield charm," said George. "It's like a magical version of a condom."

"Right, and do you remember casting that charm?" Elena asked.

"Yeah I, oh, wait..." said George. "Now you come to mention it, no, I don't remember casting the charm."

"Okay," said Elena, trying to sound calm. "And do you know what happens if you have sex with using protection?"

"Well, yeah. You can get..." George froze and looked deep in thought.

"Exactly," said Elena.

George looked shocked for a moment, then he burst out laughing. "Hahaha, good one," he said. "Did Fred come up with this prank?"

"George, I'm serious," said Elena. "This isn't a joke. I'm pregnant."

Some of the colour drained from George's face and he staggered backwards into the wall. "This isn't a prank?" he said.

"No," said Elena.

"Oh fu--"