Home Sweet House

The sun illuminated the bright green leaves of the tree above, blocking the burning heat and casting a pleasant hue below. The verdant grass was cool and soft, providing a reprieve from the stagnant, muggy air. Campus was quiet, only a handful of students walked to and from class. It was finals week of spring semester and the end of May. When Lilith returned home, life had gone on as if nothing had changed. Sam had left her boyfriend "for the final time", they discussed moving in together, and they both had begun to look at Graduate school. Lilith laid outside of the science building under a large aspen tree, reflecting on the last few months.

She was leaving for Syracuse tomorrow to start the European tour with Ghost. The thought alone sparked anxiety in her, as she had been apart from them for nearly 6 months now. During that time, Lilith had focused on strengthening her powers and working on her studies. She had also had time to think about the information they had provided her with before she left. The Principality that she had encountered was a low-ranking angel, more of a spy than a warrior. It was clear that he did not intends on running into her, but rather was gleaning information. The echelons were vast, filled with those that thirst for submission and destruction. No free will or diversity were wanted by them, only obedience. The joys and pleasures of life, even simple things were deemed reprehensible. They didn't give away much more, saying that it would come "with time". She still didn't understand her roll in it all. Earth had mentioned that should she run into any trouble, she could summon any of them by simply requesting them. Lilith assumed this is what had happened in the ally. And though she had not had contact with anyone in the clergy, she would occasionally catch movement out of the corner of her eye. A lone person in a shop that she could have sworn was watching her.

Gathering her things, she left the peace of campus and walked home. Just the small amount of work she had done for the band had allowed her to supplement her financial aid and move into a small duplex just five minutes from campus without asking her parents for help. The walk was through family housing and a small park adding to the pleasantness of the location.

She unlocked the door, set her bag down and kicked off her shoes. Throwing open the curtains in the front room, warm sunlight streamed in, brightening the small space. The décor wasn't great, but it was homey and it was hers. The apartment consisted of a small living room, dining room, bathroom, bedroom, and galley kitchen. Step two of being home was the removal of the bra and pants, which she laid over the back of a dining chair to the right of the front door. She then went to the kitchen, grabbed a glass of juice and some cookies. Her mother had agreed to pay for her cable with conditions that she maintained her GPA. This meant she could couch potato with maximum efficiency. As she entered the living room again, the light was refracted off a silver, horned mask. She screamed, nearly dropping her juice.

"Fuck! Can you give me some warning?" She scolded the looming figure. He stood still, staring at her with lifeless eyes. Her blood ran cold as she looked the ghoul over, noticing the lack of familiar mannerisms. It looked like Water, but he was normally more willing to engage in banter. "How are you?" she asked hesitantly. Lilith widened her stance, squaring her shoulders to the figure, her heart picking up pace.

"Good. Are you ready?" He said, his voice not quite right. There was no accent that Lilith loved, the tone higher pitched and tense. The ghoul moved toward her, his eyes fading away into black holes. She had not had any encounters with supernatural beings since being back, but she had thought about it daily. She had walked through multiple scenarios in her mind, preparing for this moment. Without hesitation she shut her eyes, dropped her juice and pushed him. The glass cracked and shattered against the hardwood, liquid and jagged shards rushing over her feet and across the floor. With a loud thud, he was thrown against the far wall then hit the ground. Every time she used her powers, it weakened her, her heart pounding and her knees wobbling. Raising to his feet, the imposter rushed her. Lilith gasped and staggered back into the dining room table.