XIV

"Oh, it's delightful to have ambitions. I'm so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them-- that's the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting." L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

----

XIV.

"Two shillings, Mr Andrews, as is our agreement." Belle approached the counter with the coins and gently placed them before the shopkeeper. Mr Andrews nodded dismissively, but he did not verbally respond. Belle pursed her lips, before uttering, "I wish you a good night." She then fixed her cloak before leaving the shop and stepping out onto the street.

As soon as she was outside, Belle spotted Peter walking towards her from the direction of his mother's house. The moment he saw her, he smiled warmly, and Belle felt a rush of calm wash over her. It was certainly an intoxicating feeling, and one that dissuaded her more and more from keeping any sort of distance from Peter Denham.

"Might I escort you home?" he asked as soon as he was in earshot.

Belle nodded, feeling her cheeks heat.

Proudly, Peter offered Belle his arm, in full view of every person on the street, and watching from their windows. He did not mind at all to be seen with her, and that made Belle's heart swell. 

"I wanted to tell you that I very much enjoyed our evening the other night," Peter said as they began walking. "Of course, it was not our night, I mean to say that I enjoyed the time that we spent together. Of course, I would never presume ... or assume ... or expect ... oh, what I am trying to say is –"

Belle could see that Peter was quickly becoming flustered and tongue-tied. She had understood the first part of his sentence, but as soon as he began to stammer words, he had lost her. She wondered that if he knew this, whether or not his embarrassment would ease. But, as she had already realised, Belle found enjoyment in Peter's bashfulness. "I enjoyed our evening, as well," she said, interrupting him.

To say that she enjoyed it was putting it most lightly. Belle had never experienced such comfort with a man before. She had never experienced any comfort with a man before. She was always on her guard. She had to be. But she did not need to be with Peter.

"You did?" Peter sounded relieved.

"I am safe with you. I promise I enjoyed it."

Peter's reached with his other hand to rest on hers affectionately, and only for a brief moment. He wouldn't push. She could see it in his eyes as she looked up at him while they walked.

"How was your day?" he then asked, relaxing his shoulders.

"Quiet," Belle replied. "Most days are quiet. People ..."

"People what?" prompted Peter.

"People tend not to speak to me," Belle explained. "Or if they do, it is ... oh, I do not know this word in English ... à contrecœur." It was indeed very begrudgingly when villagers would engage in conversation with her. In fact, Belle did not think she had ever had a conversation with a villager that was not in relation to a mending need of theirs. "I have told you before that I make people uncomfortable."

"And I have told you before to hang them," Peter retorted firmly, shaking his head in disappointment. "I do not know what à contrecœur means," he said, with an atrocious accent, "but I can infer."

"Your French accent is terrible."

Peter smirked, before chuckling. "Is that all you got out of what I said?" he asked, raising his eyebrows. "Do you hear me mocking your English accent?"