XXXI

"Love is a journey and a destination - long and excruciating on the way, unexpected and ecstatic if found." Stewart Stafford

----

XXXI.

"Are you satisfied that you have reached a unanimous verdict?" the judge asked the jury once they were returned.

Belle stared at the twelve men intently, her heart having long stopped beating. They had been gone a mere twenty minutes. She was not sure of the normal amount of time that it took for jury deliberation, but Mr Webb seemed to think that it was awfully quick.

It terrified her that, even after all this time, her life was still in the hands of white men.

The first juror rose to address the judge. "We are, Your Honour."

"How do you find the defendant?"

"We, the jury, find the defendant not guilty, Your Honour."

Belle's bones vanished from her legs as they buckled beneath her. She completely missed her chair and she crumpled down onto the floor. She pressed her hands against the rough timber of the floor and watched as her tears fell freely, dampening the wood.

Not guilty.

Of all the English words she had learned, to her, there would forever be a beauty about those two words when place together.

"Oh, dieu merci," she whispered under her breath.

Belle felt tender hands on her back and shoulders, and she knew it was Peter. She could hear the noise of the hall all around her. People were crying out, cheering, protesting ... she could hear Jean protesting. But Belle turned into Peter's chest and her whole body shivered. His arms enveloped her as one of his hands cradled her face.

Safe.

That familiar, beautiful feeling of Peter returned, and Belle wasn't afraid anymore.

"Please stand, Miss Desjardins," the judge commanded.

Belle's body shook as her eyes lifted to meet Peter's. "I need help," she whispered. "My legs ..."

Peter beamed, his smile bigger than any she had seen before. She could see his youth once more on his tired face. His ocean eyes were endless and were only for her. Belle could see his constancy as clear as anything. Such overwhelming feeling did not help with her legs.

Peter helped Belle to stand, and he supported her weight as she faced the judge. In turning away from Peter, she could properly see what was happening around her. The judge's constables were holding Jean to his chair as he cursed at them in French. The judge banged on his gavel to silence the noisy hall.

"I will have order!" he cried, and the noise immediately ceased. He then looked upon Belle with an almost sympathetic gaze. "Belle Desjardins, you are acquitted of all charges. You are a free woman."

Peter's grasp around her tightened as Belle whimpered with joy.

"Jean Leclerc," Judge Steele continued, his voice hardened to one laced with disgust. "I hereby order your arrest, where you will be charged with kidnapping, smuggling and rape, including the unforgiveable and damnable offense of the rape of a child. If and when your guilt is determined, I will have you hanged by the neck until you are dead, and I will see to it personally that your sorry soul is hand delivered to Satan himself."

Peter went to pull Belle away, but she found her feet then, and stood firmly as Mr Ennis came to take Jean away into his custody. He was already in chains, but Mr Ennis helped the constables to pull Jean to his feet so that he could be removed to the gaol.