Epilogue

"All stories must end so, with the next tale winking out of the corners of the last pages, promising more, promising moonlight and dancing and revels, if only you will come back when spring comes again." Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

----

Epilogue

Three Months Later

March 1812

Mayfair, London

"Oof!" exclaimed Peter, as he all but dropped a large wooden case on the counter of the shop floor.

Belle heard the noise from across the room where she had been organising bolts of fabric. "Careful!" she exclaimed, abandoning her project and flitting to Peter's side to ensure its contents were safe.

"What is even in that thing?"

"Buttons."

"Are they made of lead?" Peter complained as he rubbed his hands together.

Belle giggled, and Peter's blue eyes found her immediately, daring her with a challenging smirk as he arched an eyebrow.

"Are you laughing at me, wife?"

"No, I wouldn't dare," Belle replied innocently.

"I don't believe you," Peter retorted in good humour as he suddenly charged at her. Belle squealed as she ran around the counter, but Peter's long legs were quick to catch her. He wrapped his arms around her waist, crushing her back to his chest as he lifted her off of her feet.

When Peter finally released her, he spun Belle around just so that he could capture her lips with his. He held her cheeks with his large hands, and she could feel him smiling against her.

"Let that be a warning to never again laugh at your husband," Peter murmured as they parted.

"Oh, never." Belle smiled coyly. "Be gentle with my buttons."

"Whatever you say, Mrs Denham." Peter winked.

Belle was still unused to her married name, and to hear it spoken aloud filled her with butterflies. She had made the decision to retain her maiden name professionally. It would be the name of her business, after all. But privately, she, Peter, and their family one day, would share a name together.

They had been married a week, and this was their version of a honeymoon journey. Peter had gone on to London not long after their engagement was announced at the family dinner a week after the announcements of Grace and Susanna's pregnancies.

While in London, Peter was able to secure the shop and the flat above for them, while simultaneously returning to his work at Beresford Press in preparation for the publication of "Confessions of a Lady". The book performed terrifically well amongst women, and Peter's advertisement plan had ensured that the first run of copies were highly sought after. It seemed that only two months later there were already plans for a second edition.

Their communication reverted back to their correspondence, as it had the first time that Peter had returned to London, and Belle became determined to improve herself day in and day out. If she was to operate a business in London, then she needed to be literate. She read every day, and she spent an hour a day practising her letters to improve her penmanship.

While she would not consider herself fluent, reading became less of a struggle, and she found that she could read words incidentally now, without having to think about them.

When Belle wasn't reading, she was designing and sewing. Being her own client was alarming difficult, and Belle had never been more self-critical in her life then when she was trying to create her own wedding gown. The stress of which was exacerbated by the tight time frame. They had planned on a short engagement so that Belle could be in business before the start of the next summer season in April.