Chapter 2

Author's note: I am trying to figure out the spacing, so I hope that this is better than the first part. Please leave comments, I would love to read what you guys are thinking! Happy reading :-)

oooooooooooo

The next day was more of the same. Matthew and I woke up around the same time, showered, got dressed, and walked to the dining hall together. We did the same stretches as the day before, and during afternoon training, Four taught us some techniques to use tomorrow.

"Although you will each have five fights, no one fight is more important than the other. You won't be fighting everyday, but you should always be prepared to fight," Four looked at each of us, making sure his words sunk in. Though he seemed like a reserved guy, he seemed cool underneath. Maybe he's a transfer?

"Okay, you guys have the rest of the evening off. I wouldn't do anything too adventurous; save your energy for your fight tomorrow," again, he looked at all of us, probably expecting questions. When no one said anything, he walked off to the exit, probably to stare at a wall and be angry.

"Everyone around here sure is mad all the time," Matthew said with a sigh. We started to make our way out of the training room.

"Anger is just a state of mind, young Matthew," I said in a loud and girlish voice, trying to keep from laughing at my own words.

"Yeah, but so is happiness...?" Matt turned to me, one of his eyebrows raised.

"Sure, yeah, but it's a healthier state of mind, you see," I continued.

"Hmm, okay, crazy," Matthew mumbled. "I heard that!" I laughed and playfully punched him on his arm.

"Where are we going anyways?" I looked around to find that we were now in a dimly lit hallway. "Uh, I am not too sure," I looked behind us. Surely we had only been walking for a few minutes?

"Are you initiates lost?" Matthew and I both jumped and turned to see Eric. He had both his arms behind his back, wearing a tight black shirt with a vest over it, his muscles big and defined.

"Yes, we are," I said when Matt just stood there. "We didn't really have a place in mind we just sorta... Walked," I explained.

"Well, this is the way to the apartments that belong to the Dauntless members, no place for any of you," his mouth quirked up in what I could only assume was a smile. "I'll walk you to the pit," he turned and began walking without warning.

Matt and I looked at each other and he shrugged at me. I watched Eric walk, his legs marching forward, back straight, head held high. Everything about him just screamed POWER. And those arms... "Hey, Eric?" I called, trying to catch up.

"Hmm?" He didn't turn around, and I didn't try to walk beside him. "I'm not sure if anyone's ever asked you this before but... I think your biceps are bigger than my head? I'm a little concerned," I tried my hardest not to picture him choking someone, crushing their neck. It was making me nervous but at the same time I wanted to laugh because I knew I sounded ridiculous, but I just couldn't stop talking. "Please respond to me or I think I'm gonna cry-" He stopped abruptly; he looked... Confused. But amused.

"Are you afraid, initiate?" Eric raised an eyebrow. Oh, he was definitely amused. I felt my eyes widen, but I didn't answer.

"It may be bigger than your head. We can check sometime," his eyes lost a bit of their edge; they seemed lighter. Matthew coughed behind me. "This is a dream," he whispered, looking at everything except Eric and I. I turned back to Eric.

"I'm good, really. Just wanted to ask. I just wanted to put it out there," I steadied my breath, not wanting to look scared and keeping eye contact with him. "Let me get you where you need to be," he lowered his eyes at me, but the lightness was still there.

ooooooooooooooo

"What the hell was that!" Matthew whispered harshly once Eric had disappeared. "Wasn't that hilarious!" I said with an unconvincing tone. Matt shot me a look. "Matthew, relax! You look like you're about to have a stroke, dude," I patted his back. 

"Vee, you are crazy. I didn't know whether to laugh or runaway!" Matthew finally broke into a wide grin. "Are you sure you're human?"

"Stop making fun of me! Sometimes I can't stop talking and I just say... whatever comes into my head. I was very entertaining on the playground," I gave him a small smile, trying not to think about my old home. 

Matthew nodded, then looked ahead. "I think this is where we get clothes from," he motioned to a place in front of  us. "Let's check it out."

Walking up to the shop, we ran into Nathan and Tristan, two Erudite boys that Matt and I were convinced were related somehow. Their physical appearances and visible familiarity with each other was hard to miss. They seemed nice, and like Matt and I, mostly kept to themselves.

"Are you guys looking for new clothes as well?" Nathan smiled, walking with his hands in his front pockets. "Yeah, I decided I needed more black, you know," Matthew smiled back, and thanked him when he held the door open for us to enter. 

"It's kind of depressing, but we all look so much cooler now!" Tristan said in a cheery voice. He wore black framed glasses, and his light brown eyes complimented his tanned skin.

Tristan and Matthew began weaving between the racks, talking animatedly.

"What do you think about the upcoming fights?" Nathan asked me as we were looking at the accessories.

"Kind of nervous. I just wanna get them over with, you know?"

"Hmm. Being Amity and all, violence isn't your first instinct. I'm sure this is a learning curve for you," Nathan says, looking down at me. Boy, if you only knew.

"Well if I want to make it here, then the only thing that I better be learning is that violence is the answer. I'm not nervous of fighting people, I just don't want to hurt anyone.  But I'll defend myself if I have to," I say in what I hope is a definitive tone. Truth is that while I knew I had to survive here, I didn't want to loose my old self. Is there a way to mix the soft and the hard?

ooooooooooooo

Later that night during dinner, Nathan, Tristan, Matthew and I sat together, occupying the other half of the table that belonged to Kiernan and her friends. 

"How are you guys holding up? Training with Four and Eric must be a real bitch," Kiernan says with a mouthful of food. Matthew scowled at her and wiped her dirty chin with a napkin.

"It's actually not that bad," he says, studying his napkin closely. "Yeah we're doing a lot of cardio, lots of upper body work," I chime in, looking at the food options and deciding to stick with mashed potatoes and veggies.

"Ha, they should make sure you guys can square up with us!" One of Kiernan's friends at the other end of the table says. Kiernan gave him a look but doesn't respond. Instead she turns to me. "Don't listen to him," she says softly. "It would suck if you- any of you don't make it, you know."

oooooooooooooo

"Vee?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you up?"

It was later after dinner, and after walking around for a bit, Matthew and I had decided to take Four's advice and rest before our fights tomorrow.

"Yeah. I can't really sleep," I whisper, and turn on my side to face his bed. I hear him turn as well.

"I'm really nervous about tomorrow. I hope I do well."

"I hope you do as well, Matty," I sigh. "We have to do what's necessary." We are quiet after that, and I roll over and lay on my back. I close my eyes. I can hear the other initiates tossing, snoring lightly.

"Can I ask you something?" Matt says a little while later.

"Yes, anything."
"If I promise to have your back, will you have mine?"

I can feel myself smiling, and I open my eyes into the darkness.

"Yes Matthew, that sounds good."