Chapter 9

A/N: Just a draft I had saved that I decided to post while I get things going again. Hoping to start churning out chapters soon!

--------

Matt stared back at me, mouth agape.

"You told him all of that? And he didn't turn you in? YOU WERE AT HIS PLACE?!" Matt spoke rapidly. I shushed him, even though we were alone in our dorm.

"Yes! And now you know as well. It was exhausting keeping all of this in, Matty," I reach over and grab his hand in mine.
"I never would've guessed, Vee. But now that you told me... I can't see anything else for you. It's really important for you, isn't it?" He says.
"Yeah, of course. It's my whole life," I squeeze his hand. He squeezes my hand back and nods, smiling.
"I'm with you, whatever you want to do. You know that, right?"
I smile back and feel an overwhelming sense of joy and love for the boy in front of me.
"Yeah. I've got your back and you've got mine."

******

"Back for round two?" Eric smirks as he closes the door behind me.
"You know I can't stay away," I say flatly, rolling my eyes.
I walk to the chair and sit, waiting for him to start. This time I wasn't too worried about Eric noticing anything strange; Four had told me that the key was to do everything like a Dauntless do. He told me that it was like an obstacle course, and while there were no clear cut ways to solve it, I should still take my time and only act if I think I know how a member of Dauntless would.

"What were you doing at Four's place yesterday?" Eric asked.
I dragged my eyes to his. "Are you spying on me now?"
Eric scoffs in response. "I told you that place is for Dauntless members only, initiate."

"It's only a matter of time, Eric, before I am a member of Dauntless. . I think I should check out how my future faction sleeps," I commented nonchalantly, sitting back on the chair. "Now are we doing this or what?"

Eric sneers but doesn't answer. He picks up the needle from the table and starts towards me.

"Remember, no backing out."

*****
"All of these people have... Committed terrible crimes. They all have to be punished," a voice rang from around me. It sounded familiar, but foreign all the same.

The space around me was pitch black, but I could still see my hands in front of me.

"However!" the bodiless voice sang out, "one of them could be saved! And you can make that choice!"

I stared straight ahead, waiting for something to appear. What was he talking about?

Finally, just like in my landscape yesterday, people began to appear. At first they were blurry, as if they were behind a steamed glass or like there was something in my eyes. But as they walked closer, I could see that they weren't just a random bunch of people.

In front of me stood my parents, both in their worn Amity clothes, my brother in a beautiful blue Erudite suit, standing straight. Next to him was Four, then Matthew, and then... Eric.

"Choose, child! You have all this power, in your hands!"

And, as seamlessly as things seemed to happen in these landscapes, there was a gun in my hand.

My body, no longer connected to my brain, ordered my arm to raise as I silently protested in my head. I can't! I can't kill any of these people!

"What have they done," I spoke through gritted teeth, trying to lower my arm, but it was no use.

"Ah, what does it matter? They're all bloody, all at fault!"

I imagined the man's voice as a devil on my left shoulder, speaking into my head. I shook my head quickly and looked up at all the faces. My parents stood holding hands, looking at me with love in their eyes.

I looked at Four, standing with his arms crossed but giving me that same curious stare he did when I opened up to him. His eyes again seemed to say, "go on, you can trust me."

I can't. Goodness help me I can't.

I looked at Eric who just tilted his head to the side.
His eyes were the last I saw before I turned the gun on my self.