true north

s01ep09 - true north 

He was standing with her fingernails digging into his shoulder when his mom arrived at the pharmacy, and he smiled despite himself. She saw him and grinned back before she thought it through, earning her a throaty cough from the Evil Queen.

"What are you doing here, Ms. Swan?"

Emma tapped her badge and gestured towards Mr. Clark behind the pharmacy till. The assortment of candy and household provisions from Henry's backpack were still there, the twins next to them looking furtive. "I'm on duty, Madame Mayor, so it's Deputy Swan... and I think you'll find that I'm doing my job."

It was as if someone had turned the temperature in the small, bright pharmacy down to below zero. Henry wondered if the nails on his shoulder were producing little red crescents as his adoptive mother simmered in rage.

"Alright then, Deputy. Do it." She turned back to Mr. Clark, flashing her dangerous smirk. "It's not Henry's fault, it's down to these... future convicts."

In spite of his situation, Henry piped up defensively. "Their names are Ava and Nicholas."

Regina suppressed a snarl. "Henry, the adults are talking." Then she did snarl, and sneer, at once, eyes locked on Emma. "Find their parents, Deputy, and waste their time instead. My boy is innocent."

Henry wormed out from under her grip as she tried to drive him towards the open door. "Wait!"

The look he received at his second defiance of the afternoon was enough to make him nearly choke. She seemed to remember she was in public after a moment, and masked it. "What, Henry?"

His tone lacked certainty the more he pursued with his objection. "I... haven't bought my comic yet." He reached awkwardly for Wolverine Vs. Hulk, still on its display, missed and had to take a step before trying again.

He watched Emma watch him, expression slightly soft even as Regina snatched his comic from his grip and placed it on the counter, demanding Mr. Clark let her pay so she could leave. In his peripheral vision, he watched her every sharp move guardedly, all but throwing himself under the bus to savour the sight of his mom.

Before he knew it, the comic was thrust back into his hands and she was using the small of his back to manoeuvre him out of the shop. "Bye," he said quietly and before Regina could react he added a louder, "Ava and Nicholas."

Emma waved with trepidation, and as he left her sight he began to visibly wilt. Regina marched him down the street and around the corner before she said a word.

And when she did speak, it was with carefully measured upset. "Henry, how could you betray my trust like that?"

He worked hard to keep his face blank, bottling up his disobedience for when it would matter. She was one to talk about trust. He'd left all his trust a road back with the woman he gave it to in order to keep it safe. "Sorry."

Pursing her lips, Regina put her hands on her hips. "Sorry to who?"

He felt like a disgraced animal. "You."

"Who?" she reiterated, with force.

Henry took a deep breath. He felt like nails were scraping the bottom of his lungs. The word he'd been avoiding on purpose for months was like bile to him, not acidic but not right. "Sorry, Mom."

"That's better," she preened, snatching his hand. "You'll do good to remember where you've come from, Henry."

He bit back a choking sound. She was from a castle of black stone and broken hearts, and she'd built herself a mansion here on broken promises and bloody roses. But he had only been raised there. He was made from cocoa with cinnamon and crouching in autumn leaves, egg blue birdhouses and Christmas breakfast in pyjamas.