liberty

post s01ep09 & pre s01ep10 - liberty 

When set for court, the Storybrooke town hall was cold and decorated exactly in Regina's image. Emma could see her fingerprints on the dark drapes and the hardwood furniture, and it made her shiver.

The day was clear and crisp, and from the prosecution, Regina was glaring daggers at her and Graham's shoulders brushing against each other. Mr. Jefferson, appointed judge, stood out like a sore thumb dressed in a canary yellow waistcoat, with slightly wild hair. He slouched in his chair, and lazily watched Mr. Spencer take the stand.

Spencer had his mouth determinedly pressed in a line, and flared his papers at them before coughing and speaking in a dangerously low voice. "Your Honour, I must first argue that this case does not require a full trial, and ask for you to charge Ms. Swan on these bounds: she legally signed away her rights to Henry, and he has been raised by my client, his legal guardian, in a fit manner."

There was a look between Spencer and Jefferson, where the judge almost wavered. His gaze was flighty, but he inhaled deeply, sat up and bared his teeth. "In light of the severity this trial will have over the life of Henry Mills, I dismiss your request. Please proceed." The nicety was all but choked out in Regina's direction, and the Evil Queen seemed to seethe inwardly as he set his jaw.

Spencer coughed again, and bowed his head in a show of respect. Emma became hyper aware of Graham's heavy breathing to her left, but before she could comfort him, Henry placed a hand on his kneecap.

Her son looked at her with pinched eyebrows as Spencer resumed. "I would first like to present to the court Ms. Swan's criminal record. At the age of seventeen, she was arrested for possession of stolen items. I think it is clear that she cannot be a responsible role model for a young boy as a convict."

There was a chuckle, and Emma's eyes were drawn to Mr. Gold. He sat away from them in one of his infamous three-piece suits, and smiled with the strength of a relaxed predator. "Objection, dearie. As I mentioned to the Storybrooke Daily, those are juvenile records." He tapped his fingers against his cane threateningly. "I'm sure you know what that means, since you seem to have done your homework."

Spencer barely flinched. "I have my grounds."

"I'm sure you do," Gold laughed, "but to spare reading of the whole document, Ms. Swan was a seventeen-year-old girl who fell under the influence of one Mr. Cassidy. And she served her time. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, Ms. Swan is now law enforcement. Her repentance is clear."

"She drove over the town sign," Spencer countered, somewhat weakly.

"Do you have that paperwork too, dearie?" Gold goaded, comfortable in his seat. "I'd wager you don't, given no complaint was actually filed."

"She stole the boy's records-"

Jefferson had been watching them like a tennis match. He cleared his throat loudly. "Your objections are noted, Mr. Gold." He gave the man a nod. "You may proceed with your case, Mr. Spencer."

Spencer seemed cowed, but raised his voice nonetheless. "I call to the stand Ms. Kathryn Nolan as a character witness for my client."

At his nod, she got up from her chair and went to stand in front of Jefferson, pretty and polished in a green dress. He addressed Mr. Spencer rather than her, giving her very little notice. "She has been sworn in?"

"Yes, Your Honour," Spencer reported, continuing once he'd been given the notion to. "Ms. Nolan, how did you meet Ms. Mills?"

Kathryn gave a rather edited and bland account about the discovery that John Doe was her missing husband, befriending Regina at his housewarming party, and the support Regina had given her about rekindling her marriage and trying for children. She emphasised the last one, stressing that Regina had always given her good advice on parenting.