Chapter 1: the big win

It all started when my parents won the lottery. It happened just before I turned nine.

It was a big win: millions, a lot of millions. Naturally, it generated terrific excitement and upheaval. Our house and car were to be sold (both borderline dumpy) and most of our belongings disposed of. A whole new start was planned, but first . . .

The folks (Lola and Miles) were heading off overseas travelling - without me, Kimberly, their son and only child. Believe it or not, I was named after the Kimberly region in north-west Australia. Apparently that's where I was conceived when Mum and Dad were on their honeymoon.

I strongly suspect that I was 'unplanned', though I have never been told that.

"It would be better for Kim to stay in school while we're away. He's too young to get any real benefit from travelling. Maybe later."

"We'll buy a new house, cars, etc as soon as we get back."

"You'll like staying with your Auntie Lou, won't you love. She'll look after you and you'll have your two cousins to play with. You'll have fun."

"No, Louise, it's not a 'payment' for looking after Kim; we wanted to give you some of our winnings anyway."

"Goodby, love. Be good for Aunt Louise; we'll send you postcards and talk on the phone sometimes."

We had almost no relatives because my father was an orphan with no known relations, and my Nana (Mum's mother) was in care with early onset dementia. Grandfather was dead. Mum's only sibling was Louise, her younger sister.

Aunt Louise had gotten married quite young. However, after four years and two children, she had divorced her 'useless' husband who had then vanished from the scene.

My cousins were Blyth, eight months younger than me, and Renee, six months older.

I did get on well with my aunt and cousins. They lived in a small rural community, called Mayella, about two hour's drive from where we lived (had lived) in the city.