Chapter 5: all's well that . . .

We went back to the kitchen. Lola and Mum were holding each other; both wearing rather teary smiles. They raised their eyebrows and asked together, "What on earth was going on in there? What was all that noise?"

"Well, I'll tell you," Miles averred nodding his head knowingly.

Then he and Lola looked at each other and exchanged what I suppose you would call understanding and accepting smiles.

He sat down, "Now, that was interesting; I've been taught a few lessons. It seems that I don't know as much about girls and their mysterious doings as I thought."

Blyth let out a small giggle.

He turned his head towards his spouse, "Darling, we have been very remiss. We must make sure that we visit our three beautiful and delightful nieces more often, and their remarkable mother, of course."

There were a few seconds of stunned silence and then a lot of blubbering and hugging.

Uncle Miles and Aunt Lola stayed with us for a week or so and then headed back off on their travels. But we saw them regularly after that, at least twice a year. They continued travelling - in fact, are still at it.

Their visits were always great fun. They paid for all the costs associated with my transition: medical, counselling, training, etc.

I was given all the best support and by the time I was twenty, I was as close to being the girl I knew I was as I could be.

Renee is married now. All the family came to her wedding and I met the love of my life there. I've told him all about my unusual history and he is fully accepting. We've gotten engaged.

We three sisters remain very close to each other and to our wonderful mother.

Our global-trotting aunt and uncle still visit us regularly.