Chapter 1

A picture of what a danfo bus looks like is above ^

4 years earlier

I didn't know if I felt elated or deflated about resuming a new school not to mention High School. I mean I was only twelve years old. I had every right to panic.

"I am very excited about this new phase of your life. My daughter is going to be a High School student" my mom expressed.

My mom has been the only parental figure I grew up knowing so I always tried my best to make her happy in any way I could. My dad was not in the picture but we only ever spoke via phone I didn't feel any connection to him whatsoever.

I hurried to answer so she wouldn't think I was keeping quiet on purpose, you don't ever want to disrespect an African mother, that would lead to slaps that are too painful to express in anything but tears.

"But why do I have to go to secondary school now most of my friends are off to form 6" I whined.

"My dear" my mom cooed, "do you know Ope's Mum?"

I nodded

"She was the one who gave me the idea that instead of paying the next school fees for your going to form 6, she said that I should use the money to pay for your High School education".

I didn't even know Ope's Mum or maybe I knew her but I just didn't want to acknowledge that right now because how do you even suggest things like that to other parents, Seriously, keep your thoughts to yourself.

".........sell the air conditioner, washing machine, and freezer" My mom ranted

"Mom! Hold on, can you repeat that" I thought I didn't hear right.

"Where did you put your ears?" She asked, "I am going to sell the new air conditioner, washing machine, and freezer" she repeated " I had discussed this with your dad and he said that he didn't have any money to give us right now" she expressed sadly.

As salty as I might be when it came to talking about my dad, I hated when people would advise my mom to leave my dad.

"Sister mi(my sister), why don't you leave this man alone and forget about him, someone you haven't seen for twelve years, how do we know he hasn't married another person" my aunt raged. This was just last week

This wasn't something that was said by my aunt only, other members of my mom's family felt the same and expressed themselves in similar ways as my aunt. I didn't know why I felt hurt by this, sometimes I would even cry and my mom would reassure me that she was doing no such thing. I didn't care if I sounded selfish, I still held on to my belief that my mom and my dad would end up together, and letting go of such thought was hard for me.

"How can someone who has stayed abroad for so long can't afford to care for his only daughter?" I murmured

" Maria, we just have to keep praying for your dad, he isn't someone like that. Your dad's family has just taken over his life and he thinks of them first before anyone else" she said

What a coward.

"But mom" I whined, "you were just able to save money to pay for all those appliances you bought, why sell them now?"

My mom smiled

"You are worth more than those material possessions to me. I want you to become someone great in life and I would try my best to give you a good education to achieve that aim"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was going to write an exam I wasn't even prepared for. I am just going to guess as much as possible and hope it works in my favour because who wouldn't do that anyway?