Chapter 8

As the lukewarm water hit my skin, I coated my brown sponge with my lemon-scented bathing gel ,a lather forming as I began to scrub my arms. My mind drifted back to my encounter with Stephen and I immediately scowled.

I choked, going into coughing fits as the smoke he blew filled my lungs. He smirked at me.

" What is wrong with you?" I yelled and stood looking square into his pitch-black eyes that were enough to pull a person into their bottomless pit.  

"You haven't answered my question, girl, who the hell are you? " The words got louder as he said them. He barred his teeth at me like a wolf.

"Are you crazy?" Cynthia exclaimed as she made her way toward us, standing between her brother and me " what right do you have to question or treat her in that manner. " she said waving her hands around and screaming at the top of her voice. Even I was scared now because I knew Cynthia was totally pissed.

"Are you crazy?" Stephen said hitting Cynthia on her face. The deafening sound rang in my ears. I opened my mouth agape at the scene that unfolded in front of me. Cynthia's head snapped to the left as she held her head my hands shot out to keep her from falling. She looked at her brother with tears in her eyes and he looked at her with so much anger I was afraid he was going to burst from it. His breathing was ragged and he immediately placed the cigarette in his mouth and drew a smoke, blowing it into our faces as he turned to go. 

Cynthia turned to face me, her eyes were red and heavy with tears, she placed her head on my shoulders as she cried out her tears soaking my shirt. I rubbed her back and held her tightly, soothing her with gentle words as I stared ahead looking at Stephen's retreating form.

I put off the shower and I stepped out of the ensuite bathroom and grabbed the blue towel that I hung on the bathroom door. Droplets of water fell from my skin to the pink tiled floor, I wrapped the towel around my body as I made my way to my wardrobe to bring out a black bra with matching panties. I took out my ironed school uniform that was neatly placed on a hanger then I made my way to the vanity table. I liked staring at myself in the mirror when I dressed because I always wanted to be be aware of all my insecurities, so whenever anyone remarked on my flabby tummy or jingling thighs and arms I wouldn't feel insecure because I had learned to accept them every morning.

When I had finished putting on my uniform, I packed my braided hair into pigtails, I was careful not to tighten the rubber so it wouldn't leave my head feeling excruciating pain.

I sat on my bed as I pulled out my black Adidas converse from beneath the vanity table, my mom got them from a thrift store at a very cheap price. I got up to take a pair of socks from below my wardrobe and I made my way back to the bed placing my right foot on my left knee as I struggled to wear the long socks.

Mariaaaaaaa

I rolled my eyes as I heard my mom shout my name.

"Coming Mum" I shouted back.

Two could play at this game, I thought as I grinned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mind drifted back to Cynthia as I made my way into the school nodding my head in greeting at the gateman who nodded his head back. I glanced down at my shoes, not being able to shake off the uneasy feeling I was having. I was probably lost in my thoughts because I ended up hitting a student which caused me to stumble back and the other person to jolt in shock. I rubbed my forehead and was about to apologize when I opened my eyes and stared into grey hazel eyes. My tummy tingled as I forced my face to pull up a frown. He looked at me confused.