Chapter 3

Maria's picture ^

Presently

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What the.....

I reached out to stop the alarm beside the bed without lifting my head. My hand searched the bedside table hurriedly but it still couldn't reach the alarm which continued ringing repeatedly. I didn't feel like lifting my head because I still felt sleepy. The ringing intensified so I lifted my head, opened one of my eyes, and stretched my hands towards the alarm to put it off.

Ahhhhhhhh. Peace and Quiet.

I closed my eyes and prepared for round two of my beloved sleep. I placed my head back on my satin pillowcase and widened my legs and hands on my student-sized bed.

Mariaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I heard my mom shout my name before she opened the door.

The door opened and I immediately jumped out of the bed almost falling flat on the pink tiled floor.

"Good morning ma" I greeted bowing my head, mentally preparing myself for the lecture that was about to come.

"Morning" she smiled for a second and frowned her face immediately "Why are you not ready? You're trying to make me late right? Maria, you're not getting any younger. You're sixteen years and you're not a child anymore. Now hurry and get ready in the next 15 minutes. I will be in the kitchen making breakfast" she said and left the room closing the door with a bang!

I slumped to the bed and screamed into my pillow. I hated it when everyone around me was reminding me about my age and how I wasn't getting any younger. My dad would say "Maria, try to be more responsible. You're not a kid anymore" whenever my mom reported me to him.

I'm sorry Dad, I don't care about your opinions. You don't even know me bruh.

I knew I wasn't getting younger obviously because I was the one aging and I definitely could also tell from the drastic changes that my body was undergoing because of puberty.

I was the first girl in my year that had experienced puberty, my ass got rounder and fuller and my boobs got bigger. I felt so insecure because the boys in my school had noticed this also and made advances towards me, staring at my ass whenever I walked by and making catcalls at me. It all felt nauseating. Boys were stupid.

Mariaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Yikes!

I jumped from the bed and immediately rushed to the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked at the vanity table(my mom got it from a yard sale from our neighbours across the street a few years ago ) beside my bed as I put on my school uniform which was a task considering that I had gained a bit of weight during the summer holiday, my uniform was made up of a navy blue shirt paired with a deep blue a-line pleated skirt that stopped just above my knees and a deep blue knitted v-line vest. The logo of my school was etched into the top left side of the vest. I loved my school uniform because it made me look like the students in the kdrama series I loved watching.

I removed the satin bonnet that held my hair in place, my braided hair came tumbling down like spikes. I always removed my bonnet whenever I had finished dressing. I decided as I looked at my reflection in the mirror to use a rubber band to pack my hair into a top bun. I winced in pain as I had to lift my hair and use the rubber, I made my hair two days ago, so it was still a bit painful especially at the back.

When I was done putting my hair in the bun and laying my edges 'cus dem edges always gat to be laid', I stared at the mirror intently, taking in my features. I knew I was pretty and I didn't need anyone to tell me that, well, except my mom. I had a few acne spots which were beginning to fade away on both of my chubby cheeks. I didn't have full eyebrows but my slanted eyes with long lashes covered up for that, I noticed the bags under my eyes which were probably glaring at me because I had just woken up.