Chapter 10

Chase

I slept like shit. I tossed and turned most of the night, obsessing over what happened at the bar. This was going to drive me crazy; I needed to talk to Lindsey. I needed to figure out where her head was at. This whole situation had me messed up. I'd never been this freaked out over something a girl has said (or not said) before.

What the hell is happening to me?!

I was hoping to talk to her before Liam woke up so we could clear the air without him hearing us, but when I got to the kitchen, Lindsey was not alone, and Liam was not far behind me. Guess our little chat will have to wait. Liam and I greet Taylor and ask her how her trip was. We then fill her in on some of what she missed while she was gone.

Taylor just got back from Las Vegas, where she was visiting her mom. She moved to New York about five years ago when her company transferred her here. Her brother Justin helped her get set up when she came to the city. It's a lot like what Liam and Lindsey are going through right now. Maybe she and Lindsey will hit it off. Lindsey could use a good female friend in this place. She sure won't find that with the other women who like to hang around our group.

I laughed at something Taylor said and took a quick glimpse at Lindsey. She looked like she was in shock. Maybe she was expecting Taylor to be more like Val and Jenna Davis. That couldn't be further from the truth. She's actually a lot like Lindsey but more outgoing. And she's always been a big supporter of all the guys on the team.

She's closest with Liam and me because she met us through Justin. For the longest time, we've been the three amigos. It never seemed to bother Taylor that us guys outnumbered her. That must be because she was always outnumbered growing up around her brother and his hockey buddies. She always told us it was just easier for her to be friends with guys for some reason.

Taylor is staring at me expectantly. Shit, did she just ask me something?

I just heard Liam say, "Yeah, I'll come."

So, I nod my head, "Sounds good!"

Taylor smiles at us then turns back to Lindsey, "Awesome. How bout you, Lindsey? You wanna come?"

Fuck! Where are we going?

Lindsey has a pained look on her face, "I think I'll stay here and do some more apartment hunting. Thanks, though."

Damn! I could have stayed here and talked with Lindsey. Where the hell did I just agree to go? I could back out, but that would be rude, and Taylor just got back. I need to talk to her. Maybe she can help me with Lindsey?

Liam smiles, "Chase and I will get changed real quick, and we can head down."

He's been keeping a stash of clothes in my room, so he doesn't have to disturb Lindsey every time he changes. And we share a locker room with twenty other guys regularly, so modesty has never been an issue. I note what he grabs from his stash and grab something similar out of my dresser. Basketball shorts, socks, running shoes, and a cut-off. Looks like we're hittin' the gym.

After we got changed, I thought about hanging back and talking to Lindsey really quick, but as soon as the other two opened the door to head out, Lindsey took off to Liam's room and left me gawking after her in the middle of the living room. Guess she wasn't ready to talk yet.

......

We trek down the stairs to the gym situated on the third floor of our apartment complex. We find a spot to warm up. Once we're nice and warm, we head over to three empty treadmills seated right next to each other. Taylor grabs the one in the middle, Liam and I grab the others on either side of her.