twenty three

FRIDAY. 22. OCTOBER. 21. (very unedited)

SCRATCH that.

Trying not to think about Cole was hard and being around him was even harder.

Over the past two weeks, they hadn't hung out alone once and that probably made things easier but Max was starting to get in over his head about it. If he and Cole didn't hangout the way that they used to, then how could he pretend that everything was normal between them?

The awkwardness that lingered between them had faded over the past week, thankfully, but he was beginning to wonder if it was just because they were never alone together. Maybe Danny, Carter and Tommy were their saving graces and it would be awkward again as soon as they were alone again.

It had been playing on his mind like crazy. His mom had been telling him over and over that he was overthinking it, but pointing out that he was overthinking while offering no solution didn't do much to aid his anxieties.

They didn't even really text outside of the group chat anymore and it was starting to get a little painful. He understood that Cole probably wanted to create a little distance between them but it was starting to feel like avoidance.

That seemed hypocritical, especially since he was the one who had said that they were still friends and everything was still fine. Not once had he even sat down next to Max since they'd had that stupid talk by Cole's locker. Was sitting down next to someone really that big of a deal?

He was pretty sure that he was over feeling awkward towards Cole over whatever had been happening between them (even if it still disappointed him). The only thing that made him feel awkward now was how much it seemed like Cole didn't want to be around him.

At least, that's what had been making him feel awkward up until Cole had offered to pick him up so that they could go over to Ava's together.

Naturally, when he first saw the text, he instantly lost his shit because what else could be expected of him? Cole had been treating him like the plague for the last two weeks and now was offering to take him over to Ava's? It wasn't like he didn't have a way to get over there himself. He could've gotten a lift from someone else or called a taxi or something. If he was that desperate, he could've just avoided drinking for the night and driven over himself.

He had plenty of ways of getting himself to Ava's for Danny's birthday but he found himself accepting the offer anyway.

Cool thanks

Then he'd immediately thrown his phone across the room.

When he'd spoken to Carter and Danny about it, trying desperately to seek some kind of clarification or validation of his beliefs, Carter had rolled his eyes and said: 'I don't know, he's probably still really into you and doesn't know what to do with himself'.

That hadn't helped at all. On the contrary, it had actually made the situation worse because all that meant was that they both liked each other and weren't acting on it because. . . Because what?

Cole could give whatever excuse he wanted but the space left in Max's heart for Tyler was decreasing by the day and all he wanted to do was see what happened, have fun with it. The only reason they weren't flirting and going on dates and making out in the backseat of his car was because of him— it was nothing to do with Max.