thank you

Sunday. 23. January. 2022.

THANK YOU

Hello to all those who made it this far! I aim to keep this final goodbye as brief as possible, but we'll see how that goes.

First, I think it's important to begin this note by stating the obvious: thank you. From the bottom of my heart, a massive thank you to everyone who read this story and a massive thank you to all those who voted or commented as they read. People communicating their love or engagement with my work through voting and leaving comments for me to read truly make my whole day. It means more to me than you know and I do not think (ironically, as a writer) that I'll ever truly be able to find the words to express my gratitude for those who support me, so thank you.

My relationship with this story is always going to be important to me. After writing on and off for years, this project was finally the one that I stuck with. It was the one that I picked up and ran with until the very end and, as someone who has struggled greatly with commitment to stories, I am relieved to see it completed.

Despite my relief, however, there is always something melancholic about finishing a book; about having nothing left to write. As happy as I am to see this work completed, there will always be a part of me that is sad to see it go, especially after the impact it had on my writing.

Throughout, my journey with this book wasn't always easy and I think that's safe to say for the vast majority of writers. There were (many) times that my cursed perfectionism interrupted the flow of the story and left me feeling unsatisfied with chapters and there were (many) times when I obsessively questioned my abilities as a writer. There were times when I had no motivation or updates went up late or there were glaring typos, but please know that it wasn't for a lack of caring. Throughout all of my hardships with this writing process, I can at least state that I persevered and I'm glad that I did.

One day I will probably look back at this story and think that it's awful, but there is something positive in that; something of how our work grows and develops, how we change and how our writing changes with us. Either way, no matter how my future self feels, right now I am (mostly) happy with it.

Are there things I would change? Of course. This book would have to be perfect otherwise and it certainly isn't, but I am satisfied with where it is right now and hope to look back on it with as much love as I have for it right now.

I hope that, while you were reading, you were able to feel some kind of connection to this story and (some of) the characters.

Despite his flaws and difficulties, I hope that you had fun with Max and felt that you could be empathetic towards his situation. I hope that you had fun reading about his friendships with the other characters, and his bonding with Wren, and his progression with his parents, and his romance with Cole. I hope there was something in this story for you that made it an enjoyable experience and if you're still here then I thank you for your dedication.

As I am writing this, the story hasn't been edited. I hope, as time passes, to come back at some point to correct the necessary mistakes, though there will be no plot or characters changes. If you have completed the unedited version, please excuse the errors! I am typically busy with schoolwork and developing other works so I hope to get this cleaned up eventually, though I cannot promise it will be anytime soon!

Though there is much more I could certainly say, I think it is safe to bring this note to a close. No matter what I tell you, I feel like there will always be more. How could there not be? I feel as though many writers love to rant about their works when given the opportunity, but that's not my intention for this note.

So, once more, thank you so very much for supporting Cause for Concern! Thank you for all those who read, and voted, and commented. My appreciation for you is eternal and I would love to hear some of your final thoughts if you haven't already shared them. Additionally, if you have any questions then feel free to ask in the comments and I'll see if I can answer them!

If you wish to read something else of mine, feel free to check out the other works I have published on my account. It would mean the world to me to see you in my other books :')

Thank you all. All of my love,
Alex <3

OTHER WORKS
i. Sun Kissed (2021)
A short story about two teenage boys who work together an ice cream store and fall in love over the course of the summer.

ii. Pride & Joy (2021)
Nate Pembroke makes Denver Hughes an offer he can't refuse.

iii. Third Time's A Charm (2022)
Two boys with a very messy history decide to give each other one more chance.

iv. Love Thy Neighbor (2022)
Blake Collins moves in next door and Luca Mendoza's world turns upside down.

v. The Best of Us (2022)
Seventeen year old Tucker Bailey's life is spiraling out of control and he wants to get it back but the road ahead is a long one, and if Tucker takes a wrong turn then he doesn't just risk losing himself. He risks losing everything.

RECOMMENDATIONS
If you're looking for intense, emotional, drama filled work then Third Time's A Charm and The Best of Us. Both, like Cause for Concern, focus on external and internal conflict.

If you're looking for a book somewhere between intense and emotional, and light hearted and sweet then definitely Pride & Joy! The conflict is internal and relates to the grief and abandonment of the main characters, Nate and Denver.

If you're looking for a book that is quick and easy to read, explores no heavier themes and has a lighthearted romance then Sun Kissed and Love Thy Neighbor are perfect as they are both sweet short stories about falling in love :')

I hope one day to see you again and would be happy to answer any questions! Thank you <3