Chapter Ten - Wrath

Casey, Mia, and Maxwell sped through the halls of the Mystique base, knocking over whatever they could to slow down Wrath's pursuit. "We can't run forever," Casey said, breathing shakily. "His stamina is insane... We can't outrun him." She glanced back. Wrath crashed through their final barricade.

He was huge by now. His skull was in full view, his eyes were dark pits with a bright blue pinpoint light inside them, glowing with rage. His jaws easily had the power to crush through solid concrete. He dashed towards them on all fours, letting out an ear-piercing roar.

He was a monster by every definition imaginable. A part of Casey wondered what kind of sick experiments Diablo conducted on their Sins... whatever it was, it made them the ultimate weapon. Maxwell stopped running, facing Wrath directly. "We have... to fight. Even if it kills us..."

They both looked down at Mia. Casey nodded at Maxwell and kneeled down to Mia's small height. "Mia-" Before she could properly speak, she saw Mia's defiant stare. "Mia... We'll hold them off. You need to run. This is no place for a child to die." Mia didn't respond, keeping her defiant glare. "Mia, listen to me... Not even we can do any-"

Mia shoved Casey and Maxwell aside, dashing to Wrath. They scrambled to try and stop her, but she was too fast. "MIA, STOP!"

"It's me they want, right!? Then I'll let 'em have me!"

Casey covered her mouth. Maxwell held her back. He was frozen too.

"Hey, you boney prick! Down here!"

It was just like before.

Wrath opened his maw over Mia.

Casey was being pulled back.

Mia looked back at them with a smile.

Wrath threw Mia into the air, caught her in his maw, and retreated.

......

Casey's vision went black.

She couldn't breathe.

What was happening?

What...

Why...

Why did she have to lose another kid...?

. . .

"You're a real bitch, ya know that?" Wrath playfully punched Gluttony's arm as he examined the kid on the floor. He had just spat her out when he knew those little troublemakers were gone. Gluttony picked the kid up with a hearty laugh. "I knew you could handle it. Besides, you got a good taste because of it. Lucky."

The two of them shared genuine smiles and laughs as they made their way through the tunnels. Their destination was the Pyramid. They had to extract Half-Cowl before the kid could unlock it and cause some real trouble... But a bit of torture on the way never hurts... for them~

. . .

Casey shakily drank her tea, wrapped in a shock-blanket. She knew she looked pathetic. She knew that Mystique needed a strong voice.

But she was broken. Finished. Diablo got wanted they want. That meant they won.

They didn't even care about Mystique. There wasn't a single casualty. They weren't their top priority.

They were nothing compared to the immense power of the Sins.

They were useless.

. . .

Blood oozed from Mia's mouth and nose. The demons grinned happily. "Got anything to say, kiddo?" The crow asked.

"Is that all... you got...?"

The demons cackled. "Sorry we can't do much more, but we are on a bit of a schedule... Shall we head home?" He asked, looking at the blue one. The blue demon nodded, untying Mia and slinging her battered body over his shoulder.

"You'll get to meet the whole gang..."

. . .

Casey was pacing again. She had abandoned the blanket, chugging the tea in seconds. Her mind scrambled for something to say. Something inspiring... something to boost morale.

But there was nothing. Diablo clearly knew their location. They just never invaded because... they were useless. Mystique was never making any difference.

It was all just a pipe dream. Something that Casey thought would help, but it just caused more pain. It was a rebellion with no impact. Casey examined the blade in her hand, remembering the pact she made with Max.

If we ever fail... We will always have a way out. A way to go together.

. . .

Fight.

What?

Fight to live... you have to fight...

Mia raised her head. She was in the room again. She wasn't tied down, so she stood.

Fight...

Mia wandered into the adjacent room. There was nothing but an old bird cage with... something in it. She hesitantly approached.

Fight... kill them... save your family...

Family? Mia didn't know she had one. She kneeled in front of the bird cage.

She heard someone approach behind her.

"Mia... don't..."

Mia... Fight...

Mia looked back at the Shadow. "Are you telling me what to do?"

Defy him... fight...

"You are making a mistake... Come to me... I miss you..."

"You literally ate me an hour ago, dipshit."

"I was protecting y-"

Mia opened the birdcage. She needed some power right now...

...Even if it was a bit of a risky tactic.

. . .

There was chatter coming from the entrance of their hideout. Casey approached the sound of the chatter, expecting the worst. She pushed through the crowd, stopping at the entrance. Her eyes widened.

Mia stood there, her eyes closed. It was as if she was sleepwalking. She was covered in black goo and... blood.

But it wasn't her blood.

Casey dashed to Mia and caught her as she fell. She let out labored breaths. She was exhausted...

Casey held Mia's hand. She was safe, she was-

...

Casey looked down at Mia's hand. The hand that had a missing finger.

The hand that had...

...Five fingers, in mint condition.